When this changed happened?

Void Mysterious

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

So from what i see, when i right click a subfolder in my "Objects" folder i used to get the option to create lets say a script or notecard, now i no longer see that option in the popup menu, the only way i found to create a new item is from the button at the top of the inventory and this creates the item in some other folder, either the notecard folder or script folder, etc. Why is this menu gone? when did this change happened? Or is it some bug?

Even if i want to create a notecard like stated here 

That option is gone.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spiffy Voxel said:

Okay, that is definitely a bug or regression of some kind. Very odd, since the option to create a new folder is shown, so you'd think that the other creation options would show up too.

Awhile back, I had posted that it wouldn't let me create a Notecard in particular. 

IIRC, the replies I got on the Forum were that did not really surprise anyone..so I am not certain but think my workaround was create the Notecard in an object. 

Doesn't make much sense to me really, because most people who want to "pass" Notecards wouldn't know to or want to create them "in an object's inventory".

I checked, and don't even see an option to create a Notecard in the "Notecards" folder..

D'OH! I remember now, you have to use the "+" button.

create.png

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Anthony McGregor said:

I noticed that too. I think it started, for me, with Second Life Release 6.6.16.582075 (64bit). I thought it was an omission and would probably get corrected in a later update. 

It seems to work again in the PBR release candidate viewer, 7.0.0.581886. (At least it works the way I'd expect. I never noticed the described misbehavior, and now this RC version installed into the standard viewer directory so it would be a project to revert to a 6._ version, so I think it's fixed.)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

It seems to work again in the PBR release candidate viewer, 7.0.0.581886. (At least it works the way I'd expect. I never noticed the described misbehavior, and now this RC version installed into the standard viewer directory so it would be a project to revert to a 6._ version, so I think it's fixed.)

See my comment on using the "+" icon instead of "right-mouse".   This did come up for me before, some weeks ago.

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Awhile back, I had posted that it wouldn't let me create a Notecard in particular. 

IIRC, the replies I got on the Forum were that did not really surprise anyone..so I am not certain but think my workaround was create the Notecard in an object. 

Doesn't make much sense to me really, because most people who want to "pass" Notecards wouldn't know to or want to create them "in an object's inventory".

I checked, and don't even see an option to create a Notecard in the "Notecards" folder..

D'OH! I remember now, you have to use the "+" button.

create.png

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

See my comment on using the "+" icon instead of "right-mouse".   This did come up for me before, some weeks ago.

Yeah, what's worrying me is the possibility the PBR viewer is still using a now obsolete version of the Inventory floater, this based on a jira comment by Dan Linden:

The User Interface has changed a bit. To create a Notecard, press the "+" button at the top of the Inventory floater and find New Notecard there.

which matches your "+" comment, but in 7.mumble there is no "'+' button at the top of the inventory floater", just down at the bottom where it always was.

Sensing some installation adventure ahead…

• Thanks 2

Just now, Qie Niangao said:
6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, what's worrying me is the possibility the PBR viewer is still using a now obsolete version of the Inventory floater, this based on a jira comment by Dan Linden:

The User Interface has changed a bit. To create a Notecard, press the "+" button at the top of the Inventory floater and find New Notecard there.

which matches your "+" comment, but in 7.mumble there is no "'+' button at the top of the inventory floater", just down at the bottom where it always was.

Sensing some installation adventure ahead…

You have to wonder..WHY remove it from the Mouse Menu?

I guess it made sense to someone. (A "UI Design Expert", probably!)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You have to wonder..WHY remove it from the Mouse Menu?

Yeah, just installed the now standard release, 6.6.15.581961, and it's got the "+" at the top and no "New <stuff>" mouse menu options,  and when I use that "+" it doesn't seem to pay attention to the fact I had a folder selected in the hierarchy but plops the notecard at the top level Notecards system folder.

I sure hope I'm doing it wrong. Otherwise this had to be designed by somebody so bedazzled by the sparkly new Inventory Extensions that they lost track of why anybody uses the inventory floater in the first place.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah, just installed the now standard release, 6.6.15.581961, and it's got the "+" at the top and no "New <stuff>" mouse menu options,  and when I use that "+" it doesn't seem to pay attention to the fact I had a folder selected in the hierarchy but plops the notecard at the top level Notecards system folder.

I sure hope I'm doing it wrong. Otherwise this had to be designed by somebody so bedazzled by the sparkly new Inventory Extensions that they lost track of why anybody uses the inventory floater in the first place.

Oh, right - I forgot that it completely ignores where you are when you create the notecard with "+"!

I wonder if it also ignores where you are for other "+" items.

I did not notice in my previous post on this if there was any JIRA about it.

This plus the new "can't create outfit subfolders" bug (which I attributed to some type of "outfit restrictions") seems to have little rhyme or reason without being essplained.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Aha! Single Folder View ("Open in new window") to the rescue!

That makes sense, force us to use the new functionality, for the existing functionality to work!

I did not try "Single Folder View" ("Open in new window") yet, how do you select that / get that prompt?

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I did not try "Single Folder View" ("Open in new window") yet, how do you select that / get that prompt?

Right-click a folder somewhere in the tree. Then, in the single folder view floater, you can right-click and "Open" subfolders in that floater, but instead of expanding the tree, it navigates into that subfolder and leaves an arrow button to back out to the higher level again. I don't think it's horrid, and something like the single folder view has been needed for a while (this at least is tolerably snappy), but it's gonna take some "getting acquainted" time for me.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Right-click a folder somewhere in the tree. Then, in the single folder view floater, you can right-click and "Open" subfolders in that floater, but instead of expanding the tree, it navigates into that subfolder and leaves an arrow button to back out to the higher level again. I don't think it's horrid, and something like the single folder view has been needed for a while (this at least is tolerably snappy), but it's gonna take some "getting acquainted" time for me.

I see, in my first screen shot it would be "Open in new window".

• Like 1

Replacing breadth with depth seems to be a current user interface redesign trend in most commercial environments I am exposed to except those where users are expected to be proficient and actually get work done in short times.

• Like 2

I spent a little time comparing the Single Folder View with its apparent predecessor, the Firestorm version of "Show in new window". As far as I can tell* there's no way to create new stuff in the folder shown in Firestorm's single folder window—there's no "+" as in the Linden viewer— but on the other hand, you can insert new stuff into any subfolders shown there, and those subfolders can expand into a tree unlike the Linden viewer.

I mentioned "tolerably snappy" (also true of the Firestorm's folder-specific windows) which I meant in contrast to Catznip's "Open in… New window / New tab" options which take forever (and then do something inscrutable anyway).

*It's very possible I'm missing something in Firestorm because I almost always do. Its UX approach is weirdly elusive to me, a maze of twisty little passages, that others apparently find quite discoverable.

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

As far as I can tell* there's no way to create new stuff in the folder shown in Firestorm's single folder window—there's no "+" as in the Linden viewer— but on the other hand, you can insert new stuff into any subfolders shown there, and those subfolders can expand into a tree unlike the Linden viewer.

By "you can insert new stuff..", does this mean the Right-mouse options are still there in Firestorm (since there is no "+")?

I thought about it (ouch, my noggin'!) and see one major advantage to the "Single Folder View":  You can presumably copy/move items between different folders in "single folder view" without scolling up and down in a potentially large inventory folder structure.  I hope that makes sense.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

By "you can insert new stuff..", does this mean the Right-mouse options are still there in Firestorm (since there is no "+")?

The right-mouse stuff seems to work on Firestorm's folder icons whether they're in a main Inventory window or subfolders in the folder-specific view. What I can't make work is creating new stuff in that folder-specific view's folder itself; I can't seem to right-click on empty space in there, or on some non-folder item in the list, and get an option to create any of those new items. But again, it's me vs Firestorm, and it very often defeats me.

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought about it (ouch, my noggin'!) and see one major advantage to the "Single Folder View":  You can presumably copy/move items between different folders in "single folder view" without scolling up and down in a potentially large inventory folder structure.  I hope that makes sense.

Exactly my thought, too. Not that I ever actually organize my Inventory or anything (that's what Search is for), but sometimes it's unavoidable, and having two full-fledged Inventory windows open at the same time somehow ends up in chaotic-evil for me.

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:
11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The right-mouse stuff seems to work on Firestorm's folder icons whether they're in a main Inventory window or subfolders in the folder-specific view. What I can't make work is creating new stuff in that folder-specific view's folder itself; I can't seem to right-click on empty space in there, or on some non-folder item in the list, and get an option to create any of those new items. But again, it's me vs Firestorm, and it very often defeats me.

Sounds like a "Firestorm bug", if there's no "+" icon AND there's no WORKING "create in this single-view folder" option.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.