Boardman Preservation Society, anyone?

Island Granville

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I recently satisfied a long-standing SL goal when I acquired a little piece of Boardman. I missed the sim's heyday I think, by -oh- a decade or two, but the legend lives strong in my imagination. For context, I buy and sell land now and then, mostly ocean waterfront, but this one was a deficit purchase for me - it's an absolute keeper. Boardman today is as perpetually deserted as any other mainland sim, but it's the first empty place I have found that doesn't feel completely lonely; the roots of community live on! I suddenly felt like donating tier.

So I enquired about the Boardman Preservation Society with the group's founder, and then learned through another group that they have been dormant for some time. The group has 5 other (invisible) members, and I'm hoping that anyone reading this might know someone in the group and help connect me. Longshot, I know, but it's worth a try.

Secondary to helping the group with tier, I seek affirmation that the little 87prim park I built is acceptable within the 2004 zoning rules, because technically I didn't exactly build a suburban house on my 256m. Affirmation will help me sleep better...

Edited by Island Granville
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I can only think of two members of this Society still in SL and still active -- they were my pals way back in the Sims Online community called "Sim Arts". The others may have even died in RL, I don't recall. One I still see alive on Facebook but long gone from SL.

There was another fellow active in this builders' social group (although not sure he was in the Society) who is long gone who once beat me on an auction of a 1024 m2 in Brown which went for over US $108. Today, I sold a similar Brown parcel (Brown and Boardman are the same kind of Linden-zoned sims although Boardman has been better maintained) for "only" $US 65. People hold land for sale there literally for years in the belief that this old valuation -- a Linden-zoned sim! A sim where no one can terror-form (terraforming is turned OFF)! A sim with suburban roads!  -- still holds. It doesn't. I'm here to tell you PS that land in Brown rents poorly. It's in G. It's not really managed by Lindens anymore, who don't come running when you call to get lumps that show up in the non-terraformable land fixed (not like the Moles come running in Belli). 

Bellisseria has made all that old valuation obsolete. I remember when we implored Jack Lindens to take out the ugly buildings in the zoned marketplace area -- and the dead palm trees. I could never understand why Lindens deliberately put DEAD palm trees in the library. To his credit, he rebuilt the marketplace into something more sleek (for those days) and took out many (but not all) of the dead palms.

I once asked a Linden why they kept that weird, awkward high-prim house made by Ryan Linden still out there (I never saw anyone live in that free house even back in the day -- it looks more like some sort of display case). Answer: TRADITION.

I think no one could possibly object to a park -- there used to be parks and public buildings along with those FLW-imitation homes (some of which I still have in inventory).

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone I know created that group and owned (and possibly still owns) most of Boardman today. Boardman was the first in a few zoned land experiments that LL did as far back as 2003. It is the precursor to Belli and the Linden Homes. Even back then, some people realized at the lab  that there would be a market for this type of land ownership, but it took bandwidth to enforce the rules in Boardman and eventually LL gave up on it. 20 years later and the linden sims have proven to be incredibly popular and is probably the most common type of sl land ownership at the moment.

I had a plot there for a few years. It was the closest you could get to a Linden Home in 2004.

• Like 5

On 1/24/2024 at 6:37 AM, sparklesarefun said:

Thay sucks since it seems a lot of land there is owned by them. 

Boardman only exists in its beautiful, well-preserved current state thanks to the dedication of the people in the Boardman Preservation Society, who have been there for ages. The same type of thing can be observed in the Kissling region, neighboring Boardman. It's stunning (one of my favorite places in SL) and kept that way by a Land Holding group.

These special locations are a display of what's possible to do on the Mainland when people work together. I love it.

Snapshot_ProtectedLandKissling(1388271)-General.png.7fb6425f3bb048efa4bb7ed322401a7b.png

Delivering pizzas in Kissling. I'm too big for those tiny cars :D 

Not sure about whether or not the members of those groups are still active/online that often. Wishing you luck though, @Island Granville, and congratulations on your Boardman plot. It's a good one.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

Boardman only exists in its beautiful, well-preserved current state thanks to the dedication of the people in the Boardman Preservation Society, who have been there for ages. The same type of thing can be observed in the Kissling region, neighboring Boardman. It's stunning (one of my favorite places in SL) and kept that way by a Land Holding group.

These special locations are a display of what's possible to do on the Mainland when people work together. I love it.

Snapshot_ProtectedLandKissling(1388271)-General.png.7fb6425f3bb048efa4bb7ed322401a7b.png

Delivering pizzas in Kissling. I'm too big for those tiny cars :D 

Not sure about whether or not the members of those groups are still active/online that often. Wishing you luck though, @Island Granville, and congratulations on your Boardman plot. It's a good one.

Wait! You're driving off with the pizza on your roof!!! And you are too tall for that car, ouch!!!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Wait! You're driving off with the pizza on your roof!!!

I deliver them on customers' roofs as well, especially when they don't tip.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clem Marques said:

I deliver them on customers' roofs as well, especially when they don't tip.

That is totally appropriate for Frisbeetarian customers, who believe that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)

For a minute, I conflated "Frisbeetarians" with "Pastafarians" since Pizza is "adjacent" to Pasta (both having Italian origins even though US Pizza is not like Italian Pizza).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.