How to allow rezzers on land

Softmare

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So currently I have a bunch of rezzers for photo backdrops that someone placed for me, but the rezzers can't seem to place the backdrops unless I have build turned on for everyone.

This usually wouldn't be an issue, but I plan to have a small store on the same land and I don't want customers to be able to rezz items

I figured adding the object owner and creator to the land would help but to no avail, is there a way to do this or will I just have to parcel off my store and photo platform separately?

Is the land group the same as the store customer group? If those are different groups, then set the land permissions to allow rezzing by group and set the object to the same group as the land, and I think it all should work.

If the land group is the same as the customer group, I think this is going to be difficult to solve. What seems as if it should work but won't is to define different group roles for customers and the owner of the rezzer, where that rezzer owner has the "Always allow 'Create Objects'" ability. That will work while that rezzer owner is in the region, but after they leave for a while, the region forgets they have that ability, and will stop rezzing until they come back. (This can be pretty confusing unless you know to expect it.)

5 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

What seems as if it should work but won't is to define different group roles for customers and the owner of the rezzer, where that rezzer owner has the "Always allow 'Create Objects'" ability. That will work while that rezzer owner is in the region, but after they leave for a while, the region forgets they have that ability, and will stop rezzing until they come back. (This can be pretty confusing unless you know to expect it.)

Yes. Ran into trouble with that at Lexicolo. There's a neat system there which loads and unloads crates from trains. I saw it failing to rez crates, and contacted the owner. It worked fine while they were watching, but broke when they were out of the region. Took a while to figure that out.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, animats said:

I saw it failing to rez crates, and contacted the owner. It worked fine while they were watching, but broke when they were out of the region. Took a while to figure that out.

This is a known, antediluvian bug of SL (it existed already back in 2006, when I joined SL), happening exclusively on deeded land with deeded objects: if the land got build restriction to the group it is deeded to (instead of ”Public” rezzing permission), then the deeded scripted objects will fail to rez other objects unless the original deeded objects owner (the person who deeded those objects to the group) is online.

I never understood how LL could screw that up (i.e. how the online status can even play a role in this), but they did...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

The problem has been around a long time, but I think the Lab believes it "works as designed." I first encountered the underlying problem when trying to use llGetParcelPrimOwners() and was surprised by Kelly Linden's response to a jira, which included

In short, on group owned land if you want the object to work when the object owner is not around the object must be deeded to the group. 

As I understand the rationale, regions locally run these group-privileged functions (reporting prim ownership on group-owned parcels, rezzing objects on group land, etc.) but regions are themselves uninformed about group members' roles and abilities. Apparently it's not feasible to delay these scripted operations while the region queries for such group information, and groups change so much it would be impractical to broadcast all the changes to the regions to update any local cache of group data relevant to objects and parcels on the region.

(I gather regions do get a bunch of group data about avatars that enter the region in order to control parcel access, etc., and they operate on that data even if the group roles change while the avatar is still in the region.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 439 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.