How Do I Replace The Existing Shape of an Avatar With the shape of a Smaller Avatar?

BobCates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How Do I Replace The Existing Shape of an Avatar With the shape of a Smaller Avatar?

I'm trying to replace an avatar with a shorter one to test an orb that ejects avatars when they are too short.  I'm trying to test by changing an alt's avatar to a tiny avatar of an animal.  I thought changing the shape would be as simple as wearing the shape of the tiny avatar and that would automatically replace the base male shape of the one I'm replacing?  But when I try, seems the base male shape stays as I don't see how I can detach or remove it.  Unless I'm just not seeing how.  Here are some screen grabs to illustration.  In the example, instead of the shape of the Flat AV Shape replacing the Male Base Shape, then are both worn.

Thanks in advance.

bare 01.jpg

bare 02.jpg

bare 03.jpg

7 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Try putting on the alpha (white tshirt looking item) to hide your body 

I  put the alpha first and that hid my body fine.  But then when I measure the height, the height measurement is the shape of the alt avatar that's hidden from view and not the tiny avatar I'm trying to test with.  Which makes me puzzled as there has to be a way to replace shapes.  Otherwise, how to people ever make avatars with short heights if they can't replace the base shapes?

Edited by BobCates

You're not wearing two shapes. You're wearing a skin and a shape. An avatar is required to have 4 components, which you can't remove but only replace. A shape (the square with the head and shoulders in it), a skin (the human shape outline), eyes (obvious) and a hair/eyebrow base (the little wig looking thing). If you want to edit your shape, you need to right click on yourself, then appearance, edit shape...from there you can use sliders to change the shape of different body parts, and your over-all height, etc. I don't think you can get tiny animal size without deformers, but you can make yourself pretty short.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'd suggest, looking in the tiny duck avatar folder.  On the MP page, it says Right click on folder and replace outfit.  Try that.

L.O.O Creations presents

Tiny Duck Avatar
Unbox and then replace outfit. :D

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shiloh Lyric said:

You're not wearing two shapes. You're wearing a skin and a shape. An avatar is required to have 4 components, which you can't remove but only replace. A shape (the square with the head and shoulders in it), a skin (the human shape outline), eyes (obvious) and a hair/eyebrow base (the little wig looking thing). If you want to edit your shape, you need to right click on yourself, then appearance, edit shape...from there you can use sliders to change the shape of different body parts, and your over-all height, etc. I don't think you can get tiny animal size without deformers, but you can make yourself pretty short.

Thanks for the explanation about shape vs skin.  I did notice the different icons but I guess the word shape in both gave me a curveball as I then thought they are both shapes.  These deformers you mention, is that something that's available at Marketplace?  Or are they specifically created specially?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd suggest, looking in the tiny duck avatar folder.  On the MP page, it says Right click on folder and replace outfit.  Try that.

L.O.O Creations presents

Tiny Duck Avatar
Unbox and then replace outfit. :D

I actually tried the duck avatar first but had the same issue.  I walked like a duck, but the avatar height didn't change shorter.

24 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Those avatars come with deformers that squish and fold the body into a smaller size instead of just hiding it.

Thank you.   I will have to look at deformers as part of the equation.

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Can you show what's in that duck folder?

I looked again. Spoke too soon.  I didn't use the body crusher before.  I see what you are saying as there is a crusher that's part of the folder.   Time to give another try.  Thanks!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, BobCates said:

I actually tried the duck avatar first but had the same issue.  I walked like a duck, but the avatar height didn't change shorter.

Try starting with the base female shape and make it as short as possible.  Why are you ejecting short people?  What is short?

I think most scripts to measure avatar height will measure the bounding box of your Shape. They won't look at your mesh or prim body parts at all.

If you're wearing a modifiable shape, make a copy of it, then reduce all the height sliders to 0 to get it as short as it will go - Body height = 0, head size = 0, torso length = 0, neck length = 0, hip length = 0, leg length = 0. This shape will look really squished and weird, but that's probably the shortest you can get for an avatar Shape. Very short prim or mesh avatars often use a deformer to make them look shorter too.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Try starting with the base female shape and make it as short as possible.  Why are you ejecting short people?  What is short?

As for why ejecting, the orb is a security orb to eject possible child avatars based on height at rated M and A places.  To test the orb functionality, I need an avatar short enough in height to trigger.  I'm not against short people B|.

2 minutes ago, BobCates said:

As for why ejecting, the orb is a security orb to eject possible child avatars based on height at rated M and A places.  To test the orb functionality, I need an avatar short enough in height to trigger.  I'm not against short people B|.

Good luck with that.  I've seen avatars my height that look like young teens.  Most places don't go by height anymore but overall look of the avatar.  Just sayin'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Good luck with that.  I've seen avatars my height that look like young teens.  Most places don't go by height anymore but overall look of the avatar.  Just sayin'.

I understand. But height is still better than nothing.  Looking at Marketplace, I really haven't found many orbs nor  any orbs that don't have height as part of the equation.

Looking at Marketplace, I really haven't found many orbs nor  any orbs that don't have height as part of the equation.

That might be true but no place (adult) that I go to uses height as a basis for admittance.  There are quite a few forum users who are on the shorter side but look completely adult.  It's kind of a thing of the past to use height as a tool.  

Actually most of the top selling orbs don't have height as an option.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

That might be true but no place (adult) that I go to uses height as a basis for admittance.  There are quite a few forum users who are on the shorter side but look completely adult.  It's kind of a thing of the past to use height as a tool.  

Actually most of the top selling orbs don't have height as an option.

Can you give me a few names of good orbs to look at?  I'd be very interested as I'd want a quality orb that does a good job without many false positives or false negatives.  If you can name some specific orbs for me, that'll be a great help.  Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

What do you mean by false positives and negatives?  If you mean for height, I have no clue.  I don't know any place that uses ones like that.  

I mean in general.  Not fixating on height. I want a orb that is good about keeping those who shouldn't be at adult places out.  Be it whatever criterion.  Since you said the new ones do a good job.  So if there are some you can recommend. I'm all ears.

I mean in general.  Not fixating on height. I want a orb that is good about keeping those who shouldn't be at adult places out.  Be it whatever criterion.  Since you said the new ones do a good job.  So if there are some you can recommend. I'm all ears.

The only sure way to keep avatars that appear to be minors (under 18) out of a region is visually and even that is subjective.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The only sure way to keep avatars that appear to be minors (under 18) out of a region is visually and even that is subjective.   

Okay. Guess I'll still use height as a starting point.  I agree, not 100% but  I think still has value.

Edited by BobCates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 310 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.