Second Life Audio is Broken

So I am trying to get secondlife media audio to work.  So far its not worked.  It is happening across platforms. 

I have gone through all the settings in preferences in the media tab, my SL plugin and talk plugin are in my program task manager, speakers are on, made sure all my sound settings are set to speakers, I have the stock windows security antivirus and went and added exceptions to Sl plugin and talk and the media, cannot figure out for the life of me why I can see the youtube media but I cannot hear it.  I've read through so many posts, uninstalled and reinstalled, reset settings, I dont know what else it could be.  If its my computer which is playing sound, or if its the viewer side.  Please give me info if ya have any suggestions. 

Edited by DischordDraft

53 minutes ago, DischordDraft said:

cannot figure out for the life of me why I can see the youtube media but I cannot hear it

Such media are most likely played via the CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) plugin (Dullahan): make sure your sound mixer level is not set to 0 for CEF/Dullahan.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

It's called "slplugin.exe" on my Windows 11 Volume mixer. (Mine were set to 0 but then I usually run SL with media and all audio sources disabled so that may have been how they got that setting.) I don't know what it would mean if those plugin processes don't even appear on Volume mixer's list of apps.

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's called "slplugin.exe" on my Windows 11 Volume mixer. (Mine were set to 0 but then I usually run SL with media and all audio sources disabled so that may have been how they got that setting.) I don't know what it would mean if those plugin processes don't even appear on Volume mixer's list of apps.

Ok yeah that isnt zero, I went through all that as well and still nothing.  I can see the video playing but there is just no audio

11 minutes ago, DischordDraft said:

I can see the video playing but there is just no audio

Stupid question: you did not mute Youtube videos from another Youtube page (from the Youtube player itself), did you ?

It would then most likely retain the setting as a cookie and mute all Youtube videos, even when playing without the web controls visible... Check for this on a Youtube page opened from the viewer built-in browser (CEF):

YoutubeVolume.png.96cf76528c83205448af9552b2f119e1.png

22 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Stupid question: you did not mute Youtube videos from another Youtube page (from the Youtube player itself), did you ?

It would then most likely retain the setting as a cookie and mute all Youtube videos, even when playing without the web controls visible... Check for this on a Youtube page opened from the viewer built-in browser (CEF):

YoutubeVolume.png.96cf76528c83205448af9552b2f119e1.png

No youtube isnt muted haha, its perplexing,  

It could be many things, but if you can hear sounds in SL, hear music streams, but can't hear media like YouTube, and this is an issue in both the SL Viewer and Firestorm... that is indeed odd. The only things I can think of is perhaps your operating system is taking exclusive control of the audio devices. I'd check and see if that exclusive mode is enabled. Also, I'd check the viewer media settings and make sure media is enabled and the sliders are all the way up. Nothing should be muted, or unchecked. 

It must be maddening. Good luck! :)

• 10 months later...

Sorry for reviving a thread that's been dead for almost a year now,

But I'm having the exact same issue. I also turned off exclusive mode too so it isn't that.
Everything is checked, all audio sources for media is turned on and maxed, I even manually added slplugin & Dullahan through my firewall.

It's odd because it was working fine about 3 or so months ago and now no matter what I do I can't hear media audio.

Does anyone know any other possible solutions?

Edited by Fire8776

Got it, I did it and it's still not working.

However I did make one discovery, I can't seem to find anything named CEF or Chromium Embedded Framework in my firestorm folder.
I've reinstalled the viewer several times as well.

I only see Dullahan and slplugin.
Could that be it?

6 hours ago, Fire8776 said:

However I did make one discovery, I can't seem to find anything named CEF or Chromium Embedded Framework in my firestorm folder.
I've reinstalled the viewer several times as well.

I only see Dullahan and slplugin.
Could that be it?

What OS ?...

For Linux, the main CEF library is in the lib/ sub-directory of the installation folder as libcef.so. For Windows it is in llplugin/ as libcef.dll. There are also other CEF files (IIRC, for FS, they keep them in bin/ for Linux, which is not very ”clean” a layout: my viewer got everything in lib/, but this involves telling Dullahan/CEF where those files reside), a couple *.bin files, *.pak files with most of them in a locales/ sub-directory, some other lib*.so (Linux), *.dll (Windows) libraries for GL/EGL/GLES/VK/v8/chrome...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

17 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

What OS ?...

Windows 11.
Thank you, I found libcef.dll.

I added it past my firewall and antivirus, still not hearing anything sadly.

On 4/22/2024 at 2:57 AM, Fire8776 said:

Windows 11.

Stupid question, but did you check Windows' sound mixer while the media are playing ?

Depending on your system audio devices, it might happen that the viewer cannot ”catch” the audio level properly for your audio output device, and then it must be done from the audio mixer of Windows, or even from some mixer your audio device vendor is providing with their drivers...

I have checked all the settings and volume mixer while the media is playing, yes.

I don't think any answer is stupid, troubleshooting is bound to being up SOMETHING I've missed.
Even if it's simple.

• Lindens

Time to file a support ticket and see if they can walk you to a solution.  But two additional hints for self-service:  1)  Have you installed any sort of additional media decoder packages on the system?  Remove and try again.  2)  The log files, namely SecondLife.log and cef_log.txt sometimes have useful information in them.  Hard to read, rewards for the diligent, fun for the whole family.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1