Spam Following Me! Help!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I went to go see something in SL and I got this:

Second Life: AntiSpam: Blocked Πελαγία ΚΝΩΣΟΣ (malifax) for spamming a Sound (60) times in 4 seconds.

Not a big deal.... However when I TPed out to a different SIM it followed me:

You are now at Belleza, Belleza (144, 68, 26)
Second Life: AntiSpam: Blocked Πελαγία ΚΝΩΣΟΣ (malifax) for spamming a Sound (60) times in 4 seconds.
You are now at LeLUTKA  MAINSTORE, LeLutka (121, 160, 24)

Now relogging made it go away, I tped to a couple sims no problem. Out of curiosity I decided to go back to the sim where it started... Once again it followed me around. I went to 8 different sims, all unrelated. I am not wearing anything, and its not a group. Still with the curiosity, I took out my test avatar that is not in any group and not wearing anything. I had them go to the sim, same thing. It was a sim owned by Candy Azure, so I went to some of her other sims. Same thing different people.

Second Life: AntiSpam: Blocked ƬλﮎϦλ Ƭλνɾνﮎ ﮎოιϮнﮎση™ (tasha.taurus) for spamming a Sound (60) times in 4 seconds.
Second Life: AntiSpam: Blocked Bridget Leavitt for spamming a Sound (60) times in 4 seconds.
Second Life: AntiSpam: Blocked Destiny (destiny.cox) for spamming a Sound (60) times in 4 seconds.

Now I know I can just block them. What I want to know is what is this? Its obviously something temporary that somehow attaches to the avatar without being seen and without permission. Am I the only one who has noticed this?? 

Is it perhaps related to your notification settings somehow? was there also a 'notification' in the area around where group notificaitons are? sometimes when I pay/get paid by someone I get the notification multiple times if I forget to confirm the notification. This sounds like it could be a similar thing?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jenny Ashland said:

Its obviously something temporary that somehow attaches to the avatar without being seen and without permission.

Perhaps it is part of some Experience? A "Spammy" Spam-blocker Experience helper?

Quistess's suggestion is more likely.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

46 minutes ago, Jenny Ashland said:

Its obviously something temporary that somehow attaches to the avatar without being seen and without permission.

As far as I know, nothing can attach to you without you doing it directly or it asking your permission.

I popped an alt around to some of the person's regions and didn't experience anything like that, so I'm not sure what was happening.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Is it perhaps related to your notification settings somehow? was there also a 'notification' in the area around where group notificaitons are? sometimes when I pay/get paid by someone I get the notification multiple times if I forget to confirm the notification. This sounds like it could be a similar thing?

No because it followed me to other sims that were unrelated, on both avatars. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

As far as I know, nothing can attach to you without you doing it directly or it asking your permission.

I popped an alt around to some of the person's regions and didn't experience anything like that, so I'm not sure what was happening.

Go to the sim Oro, that is where the original one came from. The other was her sales sim. When I asked Candy Azure about it, she said that the person was her builder. The thing I don't understand is nothing was attached on either avatar. You have to stand there for a second or two. Then TP to any other sim and you will notice it. ONLY if you have your spam settings turned on. I know I can just turn them off... I am just curious as to what it could be. An experience would not follow you to other sims. 

• Like 2

I think it is possibly a Firestorm bug where the AntiSpam Block message is getting stuck and repeating after each TP - and needing a relog to reset it.  Later tonight or tomorrow, I'll do some testing with some alts and maybe open up a Firestorm JIRA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jenny Ashland said:

It does not do it with the SL viewer, however there is also not a spam option in that viewer. There is also no sound either, so it must be just a firestorm thing, and not a SL thing. 

Oh yeah, the spam blocking is a Firestorm feature.  I'll gather more data with a few alts and then log a JIRA with them.

This is the answer from the JIRA: (In case anyone else looks up this issue)

"The sounds were coming from an attachment that the specific people were wearing, for example, Πελαγία ΚΝΩΣΟΣ (malifax). The fact that you didn't hear it possibly means that the attachment they are wearing is muted (in it's settings), or the scripter set the volume of the sound to 0.0 instead of 1.0, or possibly the asset server couldn't send the sound file. The fact that the sound file was repeatedly playing rapidly in a short amount of time suggests a bug in the script.
Why would it be coming from different avatars? Good question, I'm glad you asked. It's not unusual for multiple random avatars to wear the same attachment. Maitreya mesh body, Lelutka head, etc - any attachment may be the source.

Regardless if you have spam protection enabled or not, the fact is, those avatars are wearing an attachment that is rapidly repeatedly playing a sound. Whether they are playing a zero-volume sound (like, a sound recording of silence), or a regular sound but the script is set to 0.0 volume, either way, you are noticing it due to Firestorm's spam protection. With Firestorm's spam protection disabled, the sound is still playing, still spamming, but you merely wouldn't know it."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenny Ashland said:

"The sounds were coming from an attachment that the specific people were wearing, for example, Πελαγία ΚΝΩΣΟΣ (malifax). The fact that you didn't hear it possibly means that the attachment they are wearing is muted (in it's settings), or the scripter set the volume of the sound to 0.0 instead of 1.0, or possibly the asset server couldn't send the sound file. The fact that the sound file was repeatedly playing rapidly in a short amount of time suggests a bug in the script.
Why would it be coming from different avatars? Good question, I'm glad you asked. It's not unusual for multiple random avatars to wear the same attachment. Maitreya mesh body, Lelutka head, etc - any attachment may be the source.

Regardless if you have spam protection enabled or not, the fact is, those avatars are wearing an attachment that is rapidly repeatedly playing a sound. Whether they are playing a zero-volume sound (like, a sound recording of silence), or a regular sound but the script is set to 0.0 volume, either way, you are noticing it due to Firestorm's spam protection. With Firestorm's spam protection disabled, the sound is still playing, still spamming, but you merely wouldn't know it."

It sounds like the easy answer is to just turn off the Firestorm Spam protection.

Too bad they did not address the fact the Spam seemed to "follow" you - which I assume really meant that you kept seeing messages from the Firestorm Spam protection after you left a region where the messages first started.

1 minute ago, Jenny Ashland said:

They said because the sound will keep trying to play. Its in like a cache. So after a period regardless of where you are it will still try and play. Relogging clears this.

Hmm... maybe that's a Firestorm thing?  Or because the sound is in a "tight loop"?

I never use Firestorm (always use the "official" viewer) and never had sounds follow me when I TP to another Region.

Very strange.

11 hours ago, Jenny Ashland said:

I understand the part about where the spam is coming from. 

However, that doesn't explain why you still get the spam protection message after you TP to another region - unless said person is TPing along with you.   When I was there the other day and got the messages, said person was definitely not TPing to the other regions with me afterwards, but the spam block message repeated after every TP until I relogged.

10 hours ago, Jenny Ashland said:

They said because the sound will keep trying to play. Its in like a cache. So after a period regardless of where you are it will still try and play. Relogging clears this.

Ahhh - I suppose that could explain it, but I've never had that happen before when I've had spam stuff blocked.  Maybe this caching is just related to sound.  I think my previous experience with spam blocking has been from repetitive chat.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.