Lots of mainland being abandoned? More so than usual?

Ingrid Ingersoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, Teresa, read Auden. And come to Clunn, where you will see a lot of abandoned land, including some by me.

Why is land abandoned? Because, from my perspective, and I can really only answer this question from my own experience, it doesn't rent. Full stop.

Why doesn't it rent? 

Because ugly builds have gone up next to it -- or, in the case of a sim you know well, Ingrid, someone has put ugly crime-scene tape around the land they have for sale at a ridiculous price. It will not sell at that price. Hell, the land for sale next to it won't sell even at that very bargain price. That's why *I, too* have to either abandon or sell land next to it that won't rent. There's only so much you can carry reasonably. I have done way more than my share of carrying land in areas to keep them nice. Others have done things like the Arbour Project which has started up again because of the desperate need to try to deflect ad cutting. 

But it's like picking up stranded starfish on the ocean shore to throw them back in. It is pointless; the tide will beach them again.

As the proverb from that story has it, "It matters to the starfish."

OK, but you can only do so much for all the stranded starfish in the world.

See also my thread in this section about why the market is so poor now and my theory is that the end of COVID forbearance (subsidies, mandated requirements to make landlords wait for rent, etc.) is a factor. I think the war in Ukraine is a factor. Lots of things are factors. 

What can the Lindens do about this, short of granting a tier holiday for their 20th birthday month (wouldn't that be nice!)

Likely nothing. They auction more than ever, *including their own previous park land* if you watch carefully.

They grant people abandoned land to buy -- and it gets abandoned again and again. There's a parcel near you which I have seen abandoned five times in the last year, which I have picked up twice and sold for a song twice and which is now for sale yet again for a reasonable price -- some land just gets "distressed" like that if you can't easily build on it.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Too many ad farms next door?

I have to tell people who visit to derender all from X and Y because of the giant fullbriht glowing towers advertizing "your next job as a rental agent!!11" 😢

If I hadn't owned the roadside here for years I'd abandon (or sell to someone via the GTFO group who would actually use it) and try elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.