llPlaySound busted (again?)

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've got a script I added to a vehicle to play a sound.

In there I've got a bit of code to play a sound, and because I kept hearing the sound I added a toggle and debug message to make sure it's not my script;

llOwnerSay("drop_debug");
    if(rattle == FALSE)
    {
        llPlaySound("27ff28a9-2b9d-a09a-ff52-77760d2f78e1", 1.0);
        rattle = TRUE;
    }

But even with the debug message only firing off once, I'm hearing the sound either in rapid succession, or sometimes it'll randomly play again after a few seconds.

All the bugs I can find related to llPlaySound are closed. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

No idea, but the main recent change to sound was the link sound stuff. I'd be inclined to run a llLinkStopSound(LINK_SET) and see if the noise goes away.

If it were me, it would end up being some other script either in the linkset or in some other object (so I'd turn on sound beacons to make sure I'm not falling for virtual ventriloquism), but not everybody is as easily fooled as I am.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I am probably observing the same problem. The last sound played by llPlaySound will sometimes be replayed when I click some viewer UI controls, controls that are obviously not in-world. For example when I close the debug-channel window, or an llDialog window using the "X" in the upper right corner. I too have tracked my uses of llPlaySound using llSay(DEBUG_CHANNEL,...). I tried switching to llOwnerSay instead and can't reproduce the problem but as it's a bit unpredictable I can't be sure that really works around it.

I have had this randomly also, in the end I added some to my timer to llStopSound that would fire after the sound would have played out once.

I also had an infuriating sound repeat, that everything played twice. I was tearing my hair to find it. Then I realised I had a testing alt online as well - two viewers open, two of everything....doh!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Atomic Infinity said:

I have had this randomly also, in the end I added some to my timer to llStopSound that would fire after the sound would have played out once.

I also had an infuriating sound repeat, that everything played twice. I was tearing my hair to find it. Then I realised I had a testing alt online as well - two viewers open, two of everything....doh!

After some JIRA testing, we discovered it's a real bug, similar to one that took place in 2022 that permanently breaks anything (and all copies of it).

[BUG-233791] Object is randomly repeating sounds - Second Life Bug Tracker

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.