Logged out, freezing, or has (group) chat eaten up by system frequently.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Firestorm 6.6.8 (68380) Jan  3 2023 20:20:11 (64bit / SSE2) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support

Second Life Server 2023-03-24.579022
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz (3700 MHz)
Memory: 8192 MB
Concurrency: 6
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.16.0 Darwin 22.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 22.3.0: Mon Jan 30 20:42:11 PST 2023; root:xnu-8792.81.3~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon Pro 580X OpenGL Engine
Graphics Card Memory: 8044 MB

OpenGL Version: 2.1 ATI-4.9.51
HiDPI display mode: 0

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1l zlib/1.2.11.zlib-ng nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.02.09
Dullahan: 1.12.4.202209142017
  CEF: 91.1.21+g9dd45fe+chromium-91.0.4472.114
  Chromium: 91.0.4472.114
LibVLC Version: 3.0.16
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.10.0000.32327.5fc3fe7c.571099

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Dark)
Window size: 2148x1334 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1.2
Draw distance: 248 m
Bandwidth: 1500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 4
Render quality: Medium-High (4/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
Disk cache: Max size 9984.0 MB (100.0% used)
Built with Clang version Apple LLVM 12.0.0 (clang-1200.0.32.29)
Packets Lost: 1/7560 (0.0%)
April 15 2023 09:23:55 SLT

is there anything in my "help about firestorm post" that could explain this? 

Kindest regards! 

2 hours ago, Bold Burner said:

I had a call with my provider, as I do every time when I have an issue SL.

But like all previous times.. no issue with the provider. 

My location is on mainland.. (if that helps*). 

check viewer settings.

is it only on your own land>? if so ask LL support to look at it for you.

Just now, belindacarson said:

check viewer settings.

is it only on your own land>? if so ask LL support to look at it for you.

Thank you for your reply Belinda, very much appreciated. Unfortunately it's everywhere... even on my near to empty private island. 

4 hours ago, Bold Burner said:

UI Scaling: 1.2
Draw distance: 248 m
LOD factor: 4

These three aren't going to help. I do not think they'd account for such severe trouble as freezing or logging out, but they might slow things down. My avoidance of UI Scaling may just be my superstition, so take that with a grain of salt, but such a deep draw distance is going to make everything slower to render. Your machine is okay but doesn't have a lot of extra RAM, so I'd avoid forcing it to download and draw stuff a whole sim-width away (unless I was taking photos). Same with that RenderVolumeLODFactor of 4.0, a setting usually recommended to make cheap mesh look good at a distance, but also extend the distance at which even well-made mesh will appear as good as possible; makes sense for photos but it's going to hurt performance—especially with a deep draw distance.

(The good news: no packet loss. That pushes Network further down the list of possible troubles.)

Again, though, this is just reacting to the "About Firestorm" info and I don't think it explains the real troubles you're having. Depending on what "freezing" means (is it just temporarily "stuck", or completely frozen requiring a forced viewer close and re-login? or even a whole Mac reboot?), it could even be hardware.

Somebody else may have a better, more specific suggestion. It might help them to know the history (it used to work much better, right? and then started misbehaving? any specific changes you can remember from around the time things degraded?).

[ETA: If this were my machine, I'd first try some different viewer—whichever one that's easiest—so if the problem persists, it's not likely due to viewer settings (and hardware moves up a notch on that list of possible troubles).]

Edited by Qie Niangao

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

These three aren't going to help. I do not think they'd account for such severe trouble as freezing or logging out, but they might slow things down. My avoidance of UI Scaling may just be my superstition, so take that with a grain of salt, but such a deep draw distance is going to make everything slower to render. Your machine is okay but doesn't have a lot of extra RAM, so I'd avoid forcing it to download and draw stuff a whole sim-width away (unless I was taking photos). Same with that RenderVolumeLODFactor of 4.0, a setting usually recommended to make cheap mesh look good at a distance, but also extend the distance at which even well-made mesh will appear as good as possible; makes sense for photos but it's going to hurt performance—especially with a deep draw distance.

(The good news: no packet loss. That pushes Network further down the list of possible troubles.)

Again, though, this is just reacting to the "About Firestorm" info and I don't think it explains the real troubles you're having. Depending on what "freezing" means (is it just temporarily "stuck", or completely frozen requiring a forced viewer close and re-login? or even a whole Mac reboot?), it could even be hardware.

Somebody else may have a better, more specific suggestion. It might help them to know the history (it used to work much better, right? and then started misbehaving? any specific changes you can remember from around the time things degraded?).

[ETA: If this were my machine, I'd first try some different viewer—whichever one that's easiest—so if the problem persists, it's not likely due to viewer settings (and hardware moves up a notch on that list of possible troubles).]

LOD is something that I change regularly. I 'm aware that 2k should be enough ... the same with my draw distance.. I always am aware of it and this measurement (248) was taking on my own sim where there are no people. Usually my draw distance is between 30 and 120 max (except when building). 

the UI scaling... I had no idea that could cause issues. So I will experiment with that to see if it helps.

Additionally I did a restart of my computer. Including a plug out and wait for some minutes before plugging. back in. It did help some... for now.. I'll be back with an update... 

Thank you Qie!!! 

• Like 1

I did a clean install. (this has reset the UI scale)

I logged in on several places to see if it was my location. 

I restarted router. 

I set bandwidth to 1000 (though having it set to 1500 never gave me issues).

None of this helped. 

It actually got worse since yesterday.

I log enter, and freeze.. and if I can move it's for a few seconds.. not even half a minute. 

Frustrating is the right word to describe what I feel atm.. 

Not sure what else I can do.. This problem exists only in Second life.. all other programs are working fine. 

Regards,....

Edit:
I deactivated all my gestures as I once had a similar issue that was solved that way. 
I also stopped and revoked all permissions in health
Rebuilt the Firestorm bridge
Did a character test

no positive results... :( 

Edited by Bold Burner

You know, without the viewer log, it is pretty much impossible to diagnose your issue; at best, people can do wild guesses and give generic advices (like with phone hot-lines silly/stupid question: ”did you plug your computer into the mains ?”)...

So, my one and only advice is: provide a viewer log, and since it is Firestorm-related, do it via their own support channel(s)...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

21 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

You know, without the viewer log, it is pretty much impossible to diagnose your issue; at best, people can do wild guesses and give generic advices (like with phone hot-lines silly/stupid question: ”did you plug your computer into the mains ?”)...

So, my one and only advice is: provide a viewer log, and since it is Firestorm-related, do it via their own support channel(s)...

Thank you Henri, 

The problem occurs equally on both firestorm and LL viewer. 

Also I added the help log info from Firestorm thinking that would be enough. Where can I create a viewer log? And where to post it if the problem is not exclusively on Firestorm?

Kind regards, 

The problem occurs equally on both firestorm and LL viewer.

Then the issue is likely with your system, not the viewer. Though, you could try other TPVs to make sure; the Cool VL Viewer is a good candidate, since its code base diverged a lot from LL's viewers over the past 15 years (unlike v2+ TPVs), and will likely not have the same bugs as LL's viewer and its derivatives.

Also I added the help log info from Firestorm thinking that would be enough.

This is not a log, but just the ”About” info, which is interesting nonetheless, to pin-point potential hardware or drivers limitations, but won't show what went wrong in your case.

Where can I create a viewer log?

A log is created at each and every viewer session. This Wiki page tells you where to find it for LL's official viewer (and for the Cool VL Viewer as well); most other TPVs, use a different sub-directory than ”SecondLife/” however (for Firestorm, look at a ”Firestorm<something>/ sub-directory, as the same level as the ”SecondLife/” one). Then, in this directory, look at the logs/ sub-directory where you will find the *.log files (post the most recent, corresponding to the viewer session you just closed and which went wrong).

And where to post it if the problem is not exclusively on Firestorm?

Good question: since it is (likely) not a viewer-specific issue, posting in the viewer support channel (e.g. as JIRA bug for SL official viewer) would be inappropriate/inefficient.

You may try posting your log here (zip it first !), in the hope someone will be able to identify the issue, or you could create a support ticket, explaining your issue (using/referring to LL's official viewer, since LL won't provide support for TPVs), and attaching the zipped SecondLife.log to that ticket...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 382 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.