Is there a help group in world for noob questions and such?

Chris Cash

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Title.

I've been in SL for years but never really had a place to ask questions so I still don't know how to do a few things and so I got to thinking it would be nice if there was a group where people can ask general questions on how to do things from AVs to invnentory to scripts etc.

Is there a group in world for this?

I will go ahead and ask my main question in here to so if anyone knows the asnwer to this please let me know:

I want to change my notifications in my Firestorm viewer. You need UUIDs of sounds to do so.  Well when I right click on any of the default sounds that Linden Labs gives you (Wolf Whistle for example)  the "Copy Asset UUID" is greyed out so I can't get the UUID of it to use it as a notification.  Why? Is there another way of finding the UUID for the default sounds that came from LL?

5 answers to this question

As for in world help groups, there are several.

Here are a few I know of...

• Caledon Oxbridge University
  • New Resident Services
  • NCI (New Citizens, Inc.)
  • Builders' Brewery
  • Helping Haven
  • Firestorm Support English (For Firestorm viewer related problems)
  • FS/SL Gateway Help Network (Firestorm group for general SL problems)
  • Adventure Scouts
  • The Newbie Mafia
  • Like 3

On 4/6/2023 at 3:00 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

As for in world help groups, there are several.

Here are a few I know of...

• Caledon Oxbridge University
  • New Resident Services
  • NCI (New Citizens, Inc.)
  • Builders' Brewery
  • Helping Haven
  • Firestorm Support English (For Firestorm viewer related problems)
  • FS/SL Gateway Help Network (Firestorm group for general SL problems)
  • Adventure Scouts
  • The Newbie Mafia

Tried the New Resident Services.. group is set to private and they don't have a SIM anymore.  Shame. Sounded like a good group to be in for new comers and vets alike.   Will keep going through the list and see if there's any still active.  *Fingers Crossed

If you're going down the list, you skipped probably the best one, right at the top.  Caledon Oxbridge University has been providing services for SL newcomers for two decades now. They have a full schedule of free classes, some very good self-paced tutorials, and a team of helpers  (Lindal Kidd is one of them).  I could also say good things about NCI, Builder's Brewery, and the Firestorm sites, all of which have also been offering excellent services for many years. You will also find that many of the libraries in SL, like the Community Virtual Library on the Cookie region, also have a long history of helping newcomers.  I wandered into CVL (actually its predecessor) in 2007, found a helpful community, and made many friends who are still enjoying SL together 16 years later.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Thanks 2

New Resident Services does indeed have an area for newcomers, although it's been revamped to be more compact and no longer takes up an entire region. Here's the address:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lawst Paradise/197/166/59

They have group inviter posters near that location, but here is their exact spot: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Lawst Paradise/244/159/57

If you still have trouble joining the group, send me an IM in world. I'll arrange to send you an invite.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 394 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.