Weird visitors

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi! 
A while back I installed a security orb on my property and I have seen some weird people visiting. They are not causing me any troubles so I'm not that worried but I'm wondering what is going on. I check the visitor list about once in a week and there is usually 5-6 of these strange visitors. Their profiles are always completely blank and they all share the same rezz day.  

Anyone that have an idea of what is going on here and if I should do anything about it?

/Amy

Have you noticed the threads here about bots? Those are a strong possibility with empty profiles, especially if the same ones visit repeatedly.

However, I sometimes check out profiles of visitors on the island I am on, and it surprises me how many old accounts have empty profiles when I'm sure they are not bots, but actual people driving the avatars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amywilders said:

Hi! 
A while back I installed a security orb on my property and I have seen some weird people visiting. They are not causing me any troubles so I'm not that worried but I'm wondering what is going on. I check the visitor list about once in a week and there is usually 5-6 of these strange visitors. Their profiles are always completely blank and they all share the same rezz day.  

Anyone that have an idea of what is going on here and if I should do anything about it?

/Amy

Where you are could have an old landmark that might still be given out to new users, for a place that doesn't exist anymore.. kind of like a wrong number so to speak.

But also they could be bots that pop in for a few moments and then take off..

If it's the same one or same name with numbers on the end, it's a good chance it's bots.. but if it's just the same rez day and different names, it could be new users..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

But also they could be bots that pop in for a few moments and then take off..

Hi Ceka

Until now I didn't even know there were bots in SL but reading a few threads about it, I'm quite sure that these visitors are. They arn't causing me any harm (as far as I know) so I'll just ignore them I guess.

• Like 6

Some bots are known to collect a lot of data about the region, and the content of profiles of any avatar present on the region. Some of that data is published on external websites.  Some is not published but is kept for who knows what purpose.

Unfortunately, blocking them from a single parcel won't help, they'll just rez in a nearby parcel and do the same scan anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.