Not the Deploy Plan for the week commencing 03/20/2023

Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

[2023/03/21 12:01]  Rider Linden: So, this morning we restarted the main channel, so it was relatively uneventful.
[2023/03/21 12:02]  Rider Linden: Tomorrow morning however, we have two simulators going out the RC channels.
[2023/03/21 12:04]  Rider Linden: We are planning on putting an update to the one we rolled the other week with an additional fix for a bug we introduced that prevented scripts that were transfered to a prim with llGiveInventory from ever being started.
[2023/03/21 12:05]  Rider Linden: The other half of the RCs are getting Ban the Bots so that estate owners may prevent scripted agents from entering an estate.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Aishagain said:

At the SUG meeting?

Yeah. I happened to have the transcript handy because I was trying to decide whether to file a jira (as Simon suggested) to make "Ban the Bot" a thing at the region level, or even something Mainlanders might do, too, at the parcel level. As others observed at the meeting, it all sort of depends on whether Governance decides to impose strong enough measures on undeclared scripted agents who are discovered by other means. If not, then it's window-dressing at best, and maybe Mainland windows don't need the emperor's new dressing.

(I also wanted to ask whether the server folks have any thoughts about what will happen once mere mortals will be excluded from all Jira access* but the meeting was mostly devoted to stuff that belongs in the Puppetry meeting.)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

If not, then it's window-dressing at best, and maybe Mainland windows don't need the emperor's new dressing.

This King of Beasts is disappointed to not even get a fig leaf.

ETA: Parcel-level bot ban. Please and thank you.

1FBA34A0-0364-4DBF-859E-F07D239B911A.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying

34 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

thoughts about what will happen once mere mortals will be excluded from all Jira access

Wott?? Seriously, we will lose access to JIRAs we do not create ourselves??

9 hours ago, Aishagain said:

Wott?? Seriously, we will lose access to JIRAs we do not create ourselves??

No, Jira itself. Some utterly out-of-touch executive at Atlassian must be projecting increased revenue by charging a license fee per user of the Jira system, including end-users not only developers, so suddenly every enterprise that uses Jira for anything but purely internal bug management will be forced to rethink their entire defect flow process. As somebody who just got through transitioning another organization through a very different commercial licensing change (in that case, an Intuit product)—and discovered a new, much better product for their use, I'd say there's no surer way to lose a customer than to force them to re-design the whole process at which the licensed product is (or was) the center.

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

No, Jira itself. Some utterly out-of-touch executive at Atlassian must be projecting increased revenue by charging a license fee per user of the Jira system, including end-users not only developers, so suddenly every enterprise that uses Jira for anything but purely internal bug management will be forced to rethink their entire defect flow process. As somebody who just got through transitioning another organization through a very different commercial licensing change (in that case, an Intuit product)—and discovered a new, much better product for their use, I'd say there's no surer way to lose a customer than to force them to re-design the whole process at which the licensed product is (or was) the center.

This doesn't shock me, I was more surprised to see JIRA being used by End-Users.

ETA - because, JIRA is more of a developer-centric tool (and/or for testers, project managers, etc.). IMHO.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

Well, aside from this JIRA  issue, I see that the RC Channel is being rolled without ANY comment on this forum other than Rider Linden's second hand comments at the SUG meeting only attended by a tiny fraction of the RC Channel population.

14 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

ETA: Parcel-level bot ban. Please and thank you.

Well, I made https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-233633 in case it ends up being useful. Maybe there will be more info about what Governance actually plans, and/or what the (Estate-only?) UI is intended to be, when the current console text interface grows up. (As usual, I wish the Lab would just make a scripted API for everything first, and give us tools to make proper UIs.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aishagain said:

Well, aside from this JIRA  issue, I see that the RC Channel is being rolled without ANY comment on this forum other than Rider Linden's second hand comments at the SUG meeting only attended by a tiny fraction of the RC Channel population.

Funny. .. Seems they decided that cutting it 'close to' the roll date was ample enough warning for letting people now there's a new version.

So yep - a comment was made on the forum.

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

So yep - a comment was made on the forum.

As I say elsewhere, that post was "officially" made an hour before my last but one post yesterday so it is odd that it did not appear until the work was done on the website earlier today.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 428 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.