Root position?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just discovered that a linkset's root position seems to be different in Firestorm than in the SL Viewer. Here's a comparison of two simple linksets of two cubes. Firestorm correctly uses the center of the root prim to locate the entire linkset, the SL viewer gets it wrong. Anybody got an explanation for this? Might I have a borked setting in the SL viewer?

RootPositionComparison.thumb.jpg.ea3adbd65f34ef5ceb8fef533a75de67.jpg

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Grammar, it's not just for dinner anymore.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Edit Axis at Root" may mean: If checked, the root prim of the linkset is the center of the editing axis.

That seems to reflect what is in your picture.

Whereas, in the SL picture, the "editing axis" is at the center of the linkset.

Unless I am confused why you are confused?

I'm not a Firestorm user.

ETA: My point is kind of - uncheck it in FS and perhaps it will look the same as the official viewer..?

Edited by Love Zhaoying

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

ETA: My point is kind of - uncheck it in FS and perhaps it will look the same as the official viewer..?

It will, but the behavior of the SL viewer is not what I recall from years ago, nor is it at all desirable for my purpose. Imagine trying to position a hat when the edit arrows are two feet away from your head and tipped at some crazy angle because the hat contains a butterfly hovering nearby. Or, imagine trying to place a rug on a floor when the edit axes are in the next room and tilted, again because there's some other object linked to the root rug.

I must be missing something obvious.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

It will, but the behavior of the SL viewer is not what I recall from years ago, nor is it at all desirable for my purpose. Imagine trying to position a hat when the edit arrows are two feet away from your head and tipped at some crazy angle because the hat contains a butterfly hovering nearby. Or, imagine trying to place a rug on a floor when the edit axes are in the next room and tilted, again because there's some other object linked to the root rug.

I must be missing something obvious.

Possibly, you've used the Firestorm viewer so much, for so long, that you've forgotten the default behavior?

I'm the other way, if I built more then Firestorm would probably confuse the heck out of me (as I've barely used it in 16 years).

38 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

I wasn't able to find any way to change the edit axis location in the SL viewer. Maybe it's just not possible. I checked all preferences and advanced/developer/debug menus.

Well then, in the instructions for adjusting the hats I'm making, I'll suggest people use FS. It's terribly difficult to do it in the official viewer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Imagine trying to position a hat when the edit arrows are two feet away from your head and tipped at some crazy angle because the hat contains a butterfly hovering nearby. Or, imagine trying to place a rug on a floor when the edit axes are in the next room and tilted, again because there's some other object linked to the root rug.

You think that is bad? A friend of mine on opensim once gave me a copy of a house she had made. It was (still is) a gorgeous replica of Case Study 22 and I loved it. But when I rezzed it and tried to position it, there were no arrow to be seen. But when I rezzed it, there were no arrows to be seen anywhere. It turned out that it had been accidentally linked to some parts several thousand meters up in the air (there's no linking distance limit on opensim). It took me a while to figure that out.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.