how do i create a product

cjagers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

If you're thinking of making clothing, start by reading http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Creating-clothing-and-tattoos/ta-p/700055 and then looking for tutorials (Google is your friend).  If you're thinking about objects, one of the best ways to start on the basics is to visit the Ivory Tower of Prims in world and spend time doing all of their great tutorials.  Then consider taking basic building classes at Builder's Brwery or NCI, or any of a lot of other good places in world.  Many objects you may want to make will also need to be scripted, so start inverstigating LSL scripting at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Portal.  You'll find many tutorials linked from that wiki.  The bottom line is that creating objects for sale in SL is a competitive business, and it may take you some time to learn and perfect the skills you'll need.  It is fun and definitely worth doing, though.

• Like 1

Hello cjagers,

In the Forums tab near the top of this page is a discussion area covering many topics including Content creation, browse through some of the categories to get an idea of how other Resident's are working towards their goals.

I think you should try watching some Second Life Video Tutorials, primarily those made by Torley Linden, he is an employee of Linden Labs (makers of secondlife) and he has created hundreds of videos covering almost every SL feature. I will post a link.

You could visit some of the Public Sandboxes(Wanderton) and mingle with some builders there, don't be over mingly :smileytongue:

Attend some Inworld Building Classes, Search for your future competitors and visit their stores to see what they are doing now.

Don't worry about land or a store, you could buy one and develop and upgrade it over time. Focus on gathering a Customer base or potential base by forming a Group for your store.

Look for freebie stores and start collecting sports related items (full permissions objects) to use as filler in your store.

When looking for products and or builder's for those products, take out a Wanted ad here or Inworld and list what you want and what you will pay.

I could continue until the cows come home, if you want to create a Discussion in the Forum section I would be happy to continue there. This is the Q&A section.

Welcome to the forums

http://secondlife.com/my/whatnext/video-tutorials/index.php

I had to click "ok" about 10 times for my firewall not sure why it did that but just a fyi

Here is Second Life's You Tube channel which seems to open easier.

http://www.youtube.com/secondlife/

• Like 1

I will have to agree with the others. 

Have a look at some of the tutorials they linked to, and see what you can manage to make. I will advice you not to think about opening a store until you have managed to make some items that you think are good enough to sell.

Also, check out the competition. This will tell you a lot of what level your products have to be at if you want to attract customers.

- Luc -

• Like 1

Creating product takes time and effort. If you have a keen interest and a willingness to learn, there are many aids available to help you learn. Heed the advice already posted here. Practice, practice, practice. Give samples to friends to try and get their feedback. Once you feel you are ready, find a location, rent or buy a parcel and setup your shop. Good Luck!

If you look at inworld search under the events/education section you will find many free building classes.  That is a good place to start.  Then you can find the tutorials mentioned here by other responders; I have seen several on youtube as well, though I do not have links to them so you would need to search them out

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.