Can someone else log in to their account on my computer?

ActuallyWaffles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

LittleMe is...maybe...correct. At least, I'm sure your friend won't get in trouble for trying to use their account on your machine.

But it might not work. One time, a person who was located far away from me wanted my help with their avatar, and gave me their password so I could log in as "them" on my computer. When I tried that, though, I got an error message, something like "We've detected you're logging in from a different location. Permission denied."

On the other hand, I've never had a problem logging in to SL on my laptop, when I was clear across the country from my usual location and PC. So I'm just not sure.

I think you and your friend should test this before they visit. If they are reluctant to give you their password (and I don't blame them, I would be too), maybe they are willing to create an alt with no money or expensive items and let you perform the experiment with that account.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

LittleMe is...maybe...correct. At least, I'm sure your friend won't get in trouble for trying to use their account on your machine.

But it might not work. One time, a person who was located far away from me wanted my help with their avatar, and gave me their password so I could log in as "them" on my computer. When I tried that, though, I got an error message, something like "We've detected you're logging in from a different location. Permission denied."

Just to give some context to this, it's done as a basic security feature. When a login is prevented because it was attempted at a very different location (different state, country, continent...), an email is usually sent that the account owner can open and click "yes, this is fine." After that it should be possible to log in on the second attempt.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.