Playing Second Life on a Smart Phone?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys - Firstly, please do excuse me if this is posted in the wrong section here on the forums. I am new here and hope I chose the best place to post this. So, with regards to playing Second Life, I find it a bit clumbersome needing to use my desktop when trying to juggle Second Life with Real life. I have been thinking about any other ways to play here, I do not unfortunately own a laptop suitable for running this. But, I have recently joined up to Nvidia Geforce Now service which essentially gives you access to a gaming pc that you can stream to any device. Which has left me wondering - is Second Life compatitble with this service? Has anyone tried it or used anything similar? And also my next question is the Steam Deck worth buying to play? Thank you for your time!

• Like 1

I've streamed SL from my personal computer, via the same router so the speed was great while being on the same network.  Trying to stream from my laptop through the internet to my phone was not very good, but I don't have great service to begin with.  Streaming from my laptop to my RPI was a fantastic experience though, it was pretty neat and absolutely pointless but fun while having access to my keyboard and mouse - even better was having Cyberpunk 2077 running on that RPI 🙃🥰🤣

The main problem I had with SL, is that the user interface is designed around a keyboard and mouse.  I was able to use an overlay as a joystick and move around on my phone, but trying to use the interface was a bit of a PITA at times.  I'm not sure if Nvidia Geforce Now supports SL or not. I was running through moonlight on my own PC.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

I'd never heard of Moonlight either, and it looks pretty interesting. I'm not sure it's comparable at all, but for general purpose, fairly low latency screen sharing I've long used Splashtop. I don't really do gaming this way, so it may not be viable, I don't know, but it seems much lower latency than Chrome Remote Desktop, say, or VNC or xrdp, etc.

• Like 2

@Qie NiangaoI was impressed enough that I have decided to make my next PC purchase a desktop, that I will stash away in my house to stream games from and use for my laptop as I haven't the space for a proper desk in my home.  It is the only game stream application I have used though, it was free and I have an nvidia so it worked great for me.

Eventually, I want to get back into VR and found that Meta Quest 2 goggles allow you to stream through Virtual Desktop, which would be fantastic, especially when I want to explore SL in VR again.  I haven't tried it yet, but heard it is promising.  If everything works out, all the better, no more spending a fortune on gaming laptops, and not having to be plugged in to use VR.

• Like 2

Not really on topic, I'm sorry about that, but would be nice if SL had a built-in way for a user to share its own screen P2P (or a repeater to not expose IP's, etc...) to another user safely (instead of just allow others edit own objects), could be really useful in tutorials, schools, EEP classes, etc... or even help others build or setup things. Same could apply to stream to other devices within the local network....

Edited by Andred Darwin
  • Like 2

Second Life really ought to be on NVidia GeForce Now. It's a relatively minor viewer mod to do that.

Although NVidia would like programs on their platform to use their authentication system, it's not required. It's not as restrictive as, say, the iTunes store.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andred Darwin said:

Not really on topic, I'm sorry about that, but would be nice if SL had a built-in way for a user to share its own screen P2P (or a repeater to not expose IP's, etc...) to another user safely (instead of just allow others edit own objects), could be really useful in tutorials, schools, EEP classes, etc... or even help others build or setup things. Same could apply to stream to other devices within the local network....

It would be very nice indeed. It's nothing like that, but scripts can be useful for a tiny slice of that functionality, by sharing one viewer's cam position and rotation with others who want to see what they're showing. Unlike screen-sharing, it's merely cam-sharing, so it doesn't show any viewer controls, HUDs, nor viewer-specific effects (e.g., llReplaceAgentEnvironment), but it can still be useful for getting others looking in the right places, at the right things.

There must be commercial products that do this, and I wrote a freebie "CamCaster" apparently back in 2011, available in-world at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bay City - Dennis/129.217/240.372/25.862.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

It would be very nice indeed. It's nothing like that, but scripts can be useful for a tiny slice of that functionality, by sharing one viewer's cam position and rotation with others who want to see what they're showing. Unlike screen-sharing, it's merely cam-sharing, so it doesn't show any viewer controls, HUDs, nor viewer-specific effects (e.g., llReplaceAgentEnvironment), but it can still be useful for getting others looking in the right places, at the right things.

There must be commercial products that do this, and I wrote a freebie "CamCaster" apparently back in 2011, available in-world at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Bay City - Dennis/129.217/240.372/25.862.

That's really cool!

I think the screen-sharing would be nice, cause they could see the Edit window as an example, menus, etc as you go... a vnc repeater (or a stream bridge) is really lightweight.... and could run along with a region simulator (no worries with IP sharing... same as connecting to a region... ) basically, the person sharing the screen, connects in "reverse" after Enabled... , and the user would view the stream after an invitation.... Videos help a lot... but sometimes one may need a bit more attention, giving them a chance to ask questions as it goes, etc.... 

We did that in RL (something similar), we had info dashboards at clients locations (with an arm board running the software, very similar to a Raspberry Pi) ... both "user" and "support" could switch between "streamer" and "viewer" to show how to use the system, etc.. at the time, the repeater was running on a T2 medium at AWS, really cheap... 800 dashboards connected and in standby.... but rarely would reach let's say 20 streaming for support purposes (mostly when the customer just installed dashboards)... 

Anyway, that would make "teaching" or "support" in SL much easier between users.... I've seen a EEP class a friend of mine gave at the last "Focus Photography Fair", was quite nice, but loading textures on a slide with 30 avatars at the same area, was not as nice as it could be. Not to count, could create another "market" for "private classes" in SL....

Edited by Andred Darwin
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.