Can you create sellable items on Second life without having to spend in real life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am talking about creating mesh. I know in order to create clothing/hair you need a lot of programs which cost money and I decided against cracking programs so thats a no for me. I also know blender is free but can you do much on it without other complementary programs, I already have adobe creative so I could use all their programs but does it help? From your experience is it possible to create sellable items without spending?

1 hour ago, Blaire Xenga said:

I am talking about creating mesh. I know in order to create clothing/hair you need a lot of programs which cost money and I decided against cracking programs so thats a no for me. I also know blender is free but can you do much on it without other complementary programs, I already have adobe creative so I could use all their programs but does it help? From your experience is it possible to create sellable items without spending?

Short answer, yes!  Blender may be free but over the years it has become an extremely powerful and fully featured 3D application.  It can take some time to familiarize yourself with but there's a wealth of learning material available for it so if you're willing to devote enough time you can certainly make content of a high enough quality for SL without having to pay for software.

That being said there are certain tools and applications that may speed up your productivity considerably depending on what type of content you're creating and some of them may cost money, however none of them are essential to creating content for SL so it's entirely up to you to decide if the value you place upon your own time outweighs the cost of the additional software or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

While it is certainly possible not to spend any RL dollars here (Chic waves hands wildly) it was much easier to get started long ago.  For almost everything there will be upload fees and this includes mesh. The lowest fee would be 11 lindens. If you just make ONE texture that would be another upload of 10 lindens at present. So one item that you make even with free programs will cost you about ten cents USD.  I understand that wasn't exactly your question but there ARE costs involved in being a content creator. 

You can still get free tiling textures here and there and even some free full perm mesh on the Marketplace. In some cases you may need a vendor photo if you are going to sell inworld.  The Marketplace is free of course and a good place to start.  

You CAN earn money inside SL so that you never have to spend any "real" money :D.  Again that was easier in the past than now but still doable.  If that is what you want to do then make those rules part of your personal "game" and let it be fun.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

yes you can earn lindens by doing virtual fishing, lindo, goldhunting, crystal craze game to name a few. Also people earn lindens by working sl jobs like being a host, dj's and dancers for example in sl clubs. Making lindens in sl does take a lot of effort and time however depending on what you do. I know for myself I can be fishing for hours to earn a few lindens but with those lindens it helps with me affording to upload meshes and textures. So it is possible.

• Like 1

You could create and sell shapes without buying any programs, tools or textures. You'd need to take pictures though, which if you upload them to your inventory would cost $L 10 each. You wouldn't need to own the mesh bodies and heads if you used demos. Just be sure to crop the "Demo" part out of your pictures. You'd need good skins to create good pictures too, but you could probably find some free or almost free ones.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 605 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.