Avatar Complexity - how much is too much?

5p4c3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

While it's good to monitor your triangle count too, another thing to watch out for especially with the roll out of PBR (viewer 7) is alpha blending vs alpha masking. Alpha blending is already quite expensive per frame, but PBR makes it more expensive due to the additional calculations involved with HDR, tone mapping, etc. Hair is the worst offender here because I don't see many creators designing their textures to use alpha masking. Alpha masking is MUCH faster on the render pipeline - yes it takes more effort to look 'right', but that is the whole point of optimisation and games have done this for many years.

Thankfully if you have an item that is mod, you can easily set the transparent textures to an alpha mask and then adjust the offset to get it to look as best as you can. Unfortunately complexity does not take this into account, but if you do this, you'll be speeding up your own graphics rendering of your avatar. Lots of furry avatars nowadays are using alpha masks.

I do always try to keep my complexity under 100k and in fact I have never had an issue keeping it under 100k but I only wear what is really needed, I don't bloat my avatar.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nia Whiskers said:

While it's good to monitor your triangle count too, another thing to watch out for especially with the roll out of PBR (viewer 7) is alpha blending vs alpha masking. Alpha blending is already quite expensive per frame, but PBR makes it more expensive due to the additional calculations involved with HDR, tone mapping, etc. Hair is the worst offender here because I don't see many creators designing their textures to use alpha masking. Alpha masking is MUCH faster on the render pipeline - yes it takes more effort to look 'right', but that is the whole point of optimisation and games have done this for many years.

Thankfully if you have an item that is mod, you can easily set the transparent textures to an alpha mask and then adjust the offset to get it to look as best as you can. Unfortunately complexity does not take this into account, but if you do this, you'll be speeding up your own graphics rendering of your avatar. Lots of furry avatars nowadays are using alpha masks.

I do always try to keep my complexity under 100k and in fact I have never had an issue keeping it under 100k but I only wear what is really needed, I don't bloat my avatar.

Ya, that's gonna suck for a lot of products and a lot of human body users.. So many make things no mod these days, yet charge like those things are full perm.. hehehe

A lot of hair creators, even some of the more popular ones haven't even adjusted for the attachment priority so that their hair doesn't alpha glitch and that's been out for awhile now..

The troubleshooting curve just got a lot bigger now.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nia Whiskers said:

Isn't there just some things that can't be done without blending though? Masking can certainly be used for parts of a hair style but it seems like any modern game uses a lot of alpha blending in hair to achieve the types of high quality results you see in SL as well and not sure people would accept the compromise of using entirely alpha masking.

We certainly do spend a lot of resources on hair in SL though, it's my big ticket item for sure and I love all the newest styles.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

7 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

A lot of hair creators, even some of the more popular ones haven't even adjusted for the attachment priority so that their hair doesn't alpha glitch and that's been out for awhile now..

Oh I know exactly who you mean... grrr! I'm refusing to buy anything from them until they fix it, they've been told what needs to happen (saw the discussion in group chat) but for some reason aren't doing it.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.