Why be a friend collector?

undevoted

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Re: "It's actually called a contact list."

• When you go to add someone, the option is called "Add Friend"
  • The default message sent with the invite is "Would you like to be friends?"
  • The prompt in general is labeled "friendship offer", etc.
  • The actual list of people in the Contacts tab is labeled "Friends" and the total count is shown like "Friends: 99"

On your dashboard, it says Friends also.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillFletcher said:

Think of you SL contact list like you do the contact list on your RL phone, are all those people in your phone your friends? I know i have a lot of numbers of people I may need to talk to who I am not calling up to invite to my parties. 

You have contacts on your phone though because you need to remember the telephone number and that is a list of people you may need to call.  SL is different, the list isn't being used to remember a way to contact someone (i.e. their number) because if you can remember their name, you can "call" them.  If you cannot remember their name then having their name on a list of any kind probably won't help.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Re: "It's actually called a contact list."

• When you go to add someone, the option is called "Add Friend"
  • The default message sent with the invite is "Would you like to be friends?"
  • The prompt in general is labeled "friendship offer", for the sender and receiver.
  • The actual list of people in the Contacts tab is labeled "Friends" and the total is shown as "Friends: 99"

Yeah, it's a bit messed up really.  It should all be consistent so it is kinda weird why that tab is called Contacts.  I like that terminology better though and think that reflects a better metaphor than Friends.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kawaiixlove said:

I agree with pretty much everything you’ve said lol. Sl has changed so much over the years, and it sucks. It feels like a shopping simulator tbh. Anywho, i’d love to hang out with you in world~ Making new friends these days is so hard.

have sent you a message :)

The friends i dont have to talk to as some kind of ritual, or just to be nice, i value the most.
If we have nothing important to talk about, we dont, no matter if its a few hours or a few days.

If me or that friend has a topic to chat about, we will. Maybe 30 minutes, sometimes 3 hours.
And if its more than just a topic to talk about, like a business idea, we hang, chat, work and create together for days and even weeks.

Its easy to have that way of handling friendships when the purpose of being in SL isnt only focused on socializing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.