How to stop my mesh from having an extremely high land impact?

Faith Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I seem to be having an issue with my mesh with the land impact being 1515.221.

The model itself is around 10,000 Polygons I have changed the level of detail lowest to 0 and the physical model to the lowest, However the only thing this changes is the upload fee.

I am able to wear the item, But I'm sure it's lagging my avatar, and probably others who has me rezzed!

I'm exporting it via DAE. from 3DS MAX. I'm using Units 1.0 Meters, I mention this as I'm not sure if I should be exporting via another set of units.

I'm quite new to modelling in SL and this is my first rigged clothing item so I'm sure I'm unknowingly doing something wrong!

1.jpg

Since the actual upload cost is low, your unit scale is to blame. You can choose a scaling factor in the upload options to see what the LI at correct size is, no need to re-export anything. SL units for mesh do seem to be meters, but I've no experience with anything outside Blender so it's possible there's a disagreement what the units mean when it comes to 3DS.

Edited by Frionil Fang
  • Like 1

Thank you for your answer!

It's Certainly seems to be something to do with my scaling, Thanks! Tried your suggestion and it did lower it, unfortunately the LI is still a "tad" too high. So I'm assuming my scaling must be off in Max! (Just wish I knew how!)

At least that's a relief I can leave the mesh alone!

1.jpg

Yeah, even at 0.01 scale that object being 5.6 x 12 x 3.6 meters is... a LOT of pants. Gonna have to figure out how to adjust units in the export!

Also I know next to nothing about the nitty gritty specifics of rigging but that warning at the bottom of the window seems like something to look into so you don't end up with rigging problems.

Edited by Frionil Fang
  • Like 1

Don't play arround with upload numbers and lod settings. Your mesh is not even 50% done, i'm very sad to tell you. You skipped the retopo and baking maps part completely, so you have to go back into your 3D program, use the mesh you have as your reference highpoly mesh and then you build a lowpoly mesh on top of your highpoly mesh. At the end you bake the details from your highpoly to the lowpoly mesh, so you have all the small wrinkles in the texture map. One more thing: When you say the model has 10k polys, it's very hard to believe while seeing every small wrinkle in the mesh already. I bet the tri count in the inspect window is much more higher (i would bet the tri count will be close to 100k or even higher). This is mesh that causes lag as hell in the end. Please, don't upload it like it is into sl.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, only just now seeing your message. Thank you for your input

The model is retopologised and baked down from 7 million to 10 K (8k) I've baked the map in substance hence why the wrinkles are so prevalent in Second life from the normal map.

The model I imported into SL is the retopologised lower one. (Shown in the picture below)

I figured the issue I was having was due to me not resetting my scale after rescaling my model, managed to get the model down to 11 land impact once I did, which yes I know is still quite high!

I could've totally lowered it to make it 5 (4K), But I really wanted to have the structure of the wrinkles in the shape. In the future I understand I should perhaps keep my models below the 3K mark.

Cheers again for everyone's replies ^^

1.jpg

Did you use zremesher for "retopo"? I know it's a lot of work and it takes a lot of time, but you should try retopo by hand, it would also give you a way better edge flow in your mesh. Zremesher is not really made for retopo, well, at least not for retopo in the matter of creating a low poly game ready mesh. It's more for getting a clean topology within zbrush for further sculpting. I'm glad that the pants is not super dense mesh, tho i still would not consider it as low visually wise. What tri count does the low has in second life? Poly count from the 3d prog doesn't really matter when you want to compare numbers, because within sl you don't see polygons, everything gets triangulated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.