NanR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

Try editing your shape and reduce the eye bag slider a bit.

Also, find where your facelight object is (see transparent objects with CTRL+ALT+T) and if it is above your head, try editing it down a bit lower. But not so low that you look like this:

SDC15214.JPG&f=1&nofb=1

11 minutes ago, NanR said:

hi Rowan !

how do I change windlight?

Actually, it's EEP now and there should be some in your Settings folder, I think.  I'll see if I can toss you one when I log in.   I use one for day to day activities like dressing, demoing skins, makeup and such.  It keeps the unflattering shadows off my avatar.  What face lights were used for in the past.  I only use a light when I'm doing a photo and need a bit more direction for lighting.

Those are definitely shadows, and they are caused by light.

Changing your client's lighting settings will not affect the way others see you, if that's your concern. If you want to get rid of the shadows for photographs, then Firestorm has local lighting settings under World -> Environment -> Personal Lighting, but nobody else's view of you will be improved. This is why facelights refuse to die, though even those aren't a sure thing either since some people have attached lighting deactivated in their client settings (attention, facelight police, stop hassling people and just do this for yourself).

The problem you're up against is that SL's default daytime lighting is weirdly harsh and most parcel owners can't be bothered to change it, combined with the way some heads/shapes catch the light. I once had a head that had the same problem as you have only much worse and mucking around with eye depth, cheek bones, etc. did little to improve the situation, and at a cost of ruining the look I wanted. I wound up either staying out of places that obviously were lazy about their lighting or standing near local light sources that showed me favorably because I didn't want to incur the wrath of the facelight police (thank you, campfires). The best solution is probably to get a more subtle, diffuse facelight (the one that comes with Lelutka demos is probably a good option) and edit it to a position level with your eyes so that shadows aren't cast downward from your brow/lashes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, skepwith said:

Those are definitely shadows, and they are caused by light.

Changing your client's lighting settings will not affect the way others see you, if that's your concern. If you want to get rid of the shadows for photographs, then Firestorm has local lighting settings under World -> Environment -> Personal Lighting, but nobody else's view of you will be improved. This is why facelights refuse to die, though even those aren't a sure thing either since some people have attached lighting deactivated in their client settings (attention, facelight police, stop hassling people and just do this for yourself).

The problem you're up against is that SL's default daytime lighting is weirdly harsh and most parcel owners can't be bothered to change it, combined with the way some heads/shapes catch the light. I once had a head that had the same problem as you have only much worse and mucking around with eye depth, cheek bones, etc. did little to improve the situation, and at a cost of ruining the look I wanted. I wound up either staying out of places that obviously were lazy about their lighting or standing near local light sources that showed me favorably because I didn't want to incur the wrath of the facelight police (thank you, campfires). The best solution is probably to get a more subtle, diffuse facelight (the one that comes with Lelutka demos is probably a good option) and edit it to a position level with your eyes so that shadows aren't cast downward from your brow/lashes.

All this is basically what I did tell her when I was trying to help inworld.  We really have no control how others are going to see our avatar.  I always have attached lights turned OFF unless I'm doing a photo and might add a facelight.   The main issue I saw was the skin itself although it did look better when I used the EEP setting I use day to day.   

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.