buying land for a skybox

JewelsAdiya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have always rented skyboxes, but I'd like my own. I understand that I have to buy land for the skybox. Is there a way to keep skyboxes on that land private, or is it only region-privacy? I'm tired of peeping toms. Also, how do I figure out prim allotment? I want high prim with privacy. Thanks for your help.

If you are going to be up in the sky, the best and cheapest option would be getting abandoned land directly from LL. You are going to save tons of lindens by buying rather than renting.

It wouldn't be 'a private region', but you can restrain access to just a specific group of friends, so nobody else can get in into your property. Just please keep in mind people can still cam into your place, but if you uncheck the 'avatars can see...' option in the land menu, they wouldn't be able to actually see any avatars, just your stuff.

Here you can  see the prims allowed for each of the diferent standard parcels:

https://secondlife.com/land/pricing 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jules Catlyn said:

You can turn visibility on a parcel off so people cannot see your avatar on it. What you did not specify is whether you want mainland or land on a private region. Your prim allotment depends on the size of parcel you get. 

honestly. i just want some privacy. i rent two skyboxes now, in different regions, but as time has gone on, the sky is totally packed and now people are constantly bothering me. the land owners block people from outside the region, but can't do anything about cammers inside. i do not have a premium acct because i've never needed one. but if i do this, i'm assuming i have to get a membership, which would be fine. i would want  600-700 prims. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

If you are going to be up in the sky, the best and cheapest option would be getting abandoned land directly from LL. You are going to save tons of lindens by buying rather than renting.

It wouldn't be 'a private region', but you can restrain access to just a specific group of friends, so nobody else can get in into your property. Just please keep in mind people can still cam into your place, but if you uncheck the 'avatars can see...' option in the land menu, they wouldn't be able to actually see any avatars, just your stuff.

Here you can  see the prims allowed for each of the diferent standard parcels:

https://secondlife.com/land/pricing 

thanks for the link! i see what i need now (1/32 Region). but, how do i find abandoned land? is that what the land auctions are? 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JewelsAdiya said:

thanks for the link! i see what i need now (1/32 Region). but, how do i find abandoned land? is that what the land auctions are? 

For abandoned land, just check around the map, there are tooooooons of empty areas. When you find something you like, just open a support ticket, and LL will set it up for you for 1L$/sqm

Auctions might be more expensive if there are several people interested in the same land, but you might also find plots that nobody bids for, being you the only one; in this case, you might get it at a really low price, even lower than abandoned land.

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 2

Renting a skybox is likely to result in a skybox that is part of a stack of them rented above and below you every few hundred metres. They are high density rentals and likely to encourage people visitors and other renters to cam around and introduce themselves.

Whilst going premium and buying some abandonned land is one option, an easier one would be to look for land rentals on a private region. It has been a long time since I looked into it for myself, but I would think for privacy it would be your best option. All I can really advise on that is that unless you are renting from a large reputable rental company don't pay too far in advance. It is rare but it can happen that the rental company goes out of business leaving you with out the land you paid for. 

• Like 2

Just now, Aethelwine said:

Renting a skybox is likely to result in a skybox that is part of a stack of them rented above and below you every few hundred metres. They are high density rentals and likely to encourage people visitors and other renters to cam around and introduce themselves.

Whilst going premium and buying some abandonned land is one option, an easier one would be to look for land rentals on a private region. It has been a long time since I looked into it for myself, but I would think for privacy it would be your best option. All I can really advise on that is that unless you are renting from a large reputable rental company don't pay too far in advance. It is rare but it can happen that the rental company goes out of business leaving you with out the land you paid for. 

thanks! for sure. within just a year, my main dome is literally surrounded with other domes. crazy. so, i have two domes rented. both by stable companies. i've had my main for years that i think i have six months left on. the other was my tester because of the overpopulation that has recently occurred in the other region, and for the additional space. it's monthly, big & super cheap. however, i was only to find, that there are just as many creepos there. so, that is why i am trying to find my options for privacy. i'd rather not have to pay for both a membership and a place to live. so, if i find a rental on private land, i'd be able to put up a private skybox with a security orb or something? doesn't the land owner control the privacy, as with my domes? 

Just now, Aethelwine said:

A private landlord will have ultimate control over the land they are renting, but they should be able to delegate sufficient control to you either via access to an orb or through a role in the land group. 

thank you so much for your suggestion and info!! i'm looking at private land rentals now, and hopefully they will get back to me about their privacy. it can't be worse than where i'm at and one i'm looking at is only $200 more linden a month than i'm paying. no membership fees. totally doable! thank you!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JewelsAdiya said:

The private estate company I've always rented from would give you almost all rights depending on which island.  Media, privacy, terraforming, etc.  It all depends on the company, too.  

This subforum is for private estate rentals...

Region for Rent: Full Private Island - Second Life Community

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.