Looking for a Scripting Idea

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've made huge progress on my current "generic script" project. This is the 4th or 5th one I've worked on in about 15 years, but seems the "best" so far.

What the current one does is, about anything that I add support for.   I am trying to KISS regardless, taking a RISC / P-Code approach.

Maybe it's time for a break until inspiration hits me, or I want to do some refactoring such as removing unnecessary commands, combining similar code, adding or removing helper functions, etc.

However, with the big progress, now I'm getting "writer's block".  

Any ideas on a script that is generally useful?  That may help me decide what functions and features to add.

You could try writing a system that allows the user to move linked prims imitating the bones of a SL animation, storing different positions in 'frames' then pushing that data base64 encoded to the user using the http_request event, then write a user-friendly program outside SL to convert that data to a .anim file . . .

Oh wait, that's one of the projects on my backburner >.< coming soon(tm)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Suggest renaming this thread to "Over-engineering for fun and profit"

Point taken, universal scripts aren't really needed..ever!

I've liked the idea of scripts that process something P-Code (in a notecard) for along time though for a lot of reasons. Primarily, 1 script + notecards has advantages over multiple scripts, where it will solve the same problems.

i am a big fan of data-driven scripting

a thing I wrote ages ago now when Experiences came was for a single object couples sit with only one script

it was designed to be a data (notecard) driven scene/experience manager

like a person clicks on the console (dance post for example). They get a HUD from the console (auto-attached).  Click the HUD and get a list of nearby people who also are in the Experience. Use HUD to invite them (via dialog) to dance. They click  Yes Please!  and voila they are dancing with the inviter.  It works by the console rezzing a invisible dual-prim plate (2 sit targets to make it easy) at the feet of the inviter. The dancers are auto-sat on this. Neither has to try to manually sit on rez poseballs. The console then playing the dances on them in response to HUD request

and then being data (notecard) driven could describe different scenes based on this design

like a chase game.  Both players go thru a portal/gate. One runs, the other chases. When the chaser catches/bumps (collision) then rez plate, auto sit both, menu select animations. Options for either/or to control the animations

the rules to trigger rez/collision/request/etc being in the notecard

i never did anything with this other than give it to a friend, who used it for adult-y things on their private region. But was quite interesting for me to make

ps. So Love if you want to take this basic idea to another level then I think would be at least a little bit commercial upside. I don't do commercial so is not like I am going to do anything more with it

Edited by Mollymews
typ
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i am a big fan of data-driven scripting

a thing I wrote ages ago now when Experiences came was for a single object couples sit with only one script

it was designed to be a data (notecard) driven scene/experience manager

like a person clicks on the console (dance post for example). They get a HUD from the console (auto-attached).  Click the HUD and get a list of nearby people who also are in the Experience. Use HUD to invite them (via dialog) to dance. They click  Yes Please!  and voila they are dancing with the inviter.  It works by the console rezzing a invisible dual-prim plate (2 sit targets to make it easy) at the feet of the inviter. The dancers are auto-sat on this. Neither has to try to manually sit on rez poseballs. The console then playing the dances on them in response to HUD request

and then being data (notecard) driven could describe different scenes based on this design

like a chase game.  Both players go thru a portal/gate. One runs, the other chases. When the chaser catches/bumps (collision) then rez plate, auto sit both, menu select animations. Options for either/or to control the animations

the rules to trigger rez/collision/request/etc being in the notecard

i never did anything with this other than give it to a friend, who used it for adult-y things on their private region. But was quite interesting for me to make

ps. So Love if you want to take this basic idea to another level then I think would be at least a little bit commercial upside. I don't do commercial so is not like I am going to do anything more with it

Great ideas, thank you!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.