Maybe its time for Linden Labs to make an easier phone verification process?

CruellaDiavule

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I can't get the life of me how idiotic the multi-factor authentication can be, especially when you do it, a new pin code pops up every 30 seconds, and still doesn't work to this day, how am I gonna be able to be more secure in my account when linden labs can't even make the process easy? every other website and online game has it, so why can't linden labs do it?

9 answers to this question

• Moderators

Greetings!

The first time you enable MFA on your account you will need to enter 2 successive codes. 

When you enable MFA it will ask for the first code.  Open the Authenticator and wait until the code changes to a brand new code. Enter that number

You will then be prompted to enter the next code. 

As soon as the code changes on the Authenticator to the next code, enter that next code. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CruellaDiavule said:

I can't get the life of me how idiotic the multi-factor authentication can be, especially when you do it, a new pin code pops up every 30 seconds, and still doesn't work to this day, how am I gonna be able to be more secure in my account when linden labs can't even make the process easy? every other website and online game has it, so why can't linden labs do it?

That is how the authenticators work -- you get a new code every 30 seconds (maybe longer for some authenticators).  

I have it turned on from my account and have never had a problem.  When the SL page pops up the screen to enter the authenticator value, simply bring up the authenticator app on your phone and whatever value is currently shown for the Second Life app is what you'll use.  Note that if the 'countdown' is close to zero then just wait until it changes.  It is only going to "not work" if you read the value from the app, enter it on the screen, and then the app value changes before you click 'Submit Challenge'.  That is why you wait, if the app countdown is close to zero.

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That is how the authenticators work -- you get a new code every 30 seconds (maybe longer for some authenticators).  

I have it turned on from my account and have never had a problem.  When the SL page pops up the screen to enter the authenticator value, simply bring up the authenticator app on your phone and whatever value is currently shown for the Second Life app is what you'll use.  Note that if the 'countdown' is close to zero then just wait until it changes.  It is only going to "not work" if you read the value from the app, enter it on the screen, and then the app value changes before you click 'Submit Challenge'.  That is why you wait, if the app countdown is close to zero.

I've done this, and still it doesnt work, if i fill in one of the codes in the second bar, then it says that i need to fill in the first bar, it's literally not doing anything when i fill them both in and they both get invalid code response.

26 minutes ago, CruellaDiavule said:

I've done this, and still it doesnt work, if i fill in one of the codes in the second bar, then it says that i need to fill in the first bar, it's literally not doing anything when i fill them both in and they both get invalid code response.

First bar / Second bar?   Is this for setting it up or for authenticating after it is set up?   

Mine is all set up and this is what my screen looks like when I try to hit a financial page from my Dashboard:
image.png.aef9f3dc167981ab2954ec299d91fdf1.png

There are no First or Second bars, so I don't understand the context.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.