How too get details?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

flyingmachine.jpg

I want to make it look more detailled, but i have no idea how. Im not a great texturer for such, and its also a flying object restrained for 32 prims. The wood is librarytexturing.

Has anybody got some advice on making things look less 'simple'? I want to create an end product i can be satisfyed with.

*With simple i mean more ehm smoothened? more realistic?

It's all about textures. If you want something you created to look great, learn to create and apply great textures, or at least learn where you can buy them.  Until then, try using different prim shapes (cylinders, spheres, torii) or make sculpties, instead of using only cubes.

I meant that you get a sculpt maker to make your own sculpts, especially when using basic textures, this can be much easier then it seems at first.

I think I once used something called Sculpt oven or something like that, reasonably prized and easy to use.

There are better sculpt makers but they can be quite expensive, worth it though.

Blender is free and incredibly powerful. It will take you a month or so of patient work with tutorials before you feel comfortable with it, but it's worth the effort.  Unlike the other free tools you can get, Blender is primarly a 3D mesh tool, so you'll be able to use it for creating mesh objects as well as sculpties.  Best of all, Gaia Clary has developed a wonderful set of tutorials for using Blender to make objects for SL, and her Jass-2 plugin  for Blender makes it very easy to create and export SL sculpties.

I second what Rolig says about texturing. Textures make all the difference and learning how to make them and apply them is worth spending time on.

Regarding Blender. I'm not sure it is more difficult to learn how to create sculpties in Blender than it is in many of the other 3d packages. Have a look at Gaia Clary's tutorials on http://blog.machinimatrix.org/ and I think you will soon find that it is really not that difficult.

- Luc -

note, this is an example of a 30 prim vehicle:
VSX-701 "Red Dwarf"

the balloon is 3 prims, the lights 3, the fins 2, the rigging 4 (hollow cylinders textured on touching faces), the seats 2 each, the console 1, the engines 2 each (twisted torii) and the deck is 10 (it curves under like the prow of a carrier)

the tie downs and stand are an additional 7 that are not connected, but rather used as a rezzor. the tie lines are the corners of 2 tapered cubes, one hollow inside the other textured on the touching faces, the pegs are 1 hacked up tube each. and the stand is a sliced cube.... the blue thing is a single prim teleporter with texture animation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4710 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.