is there any way to better optimize a modern computer on Win 11

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

running the latest hardware to better render avatars in a scene without choking the FPS down to like 8 or so? I know there are avatar imposter solution, but what I want to know is if you want all the avis in a area fully rendered, is there anything in Win 11 (or 10) that we can do to speed up the render proccess? I have a 10-700k, a rtx 3070, 32 gig 3200mhz ram, all SSDs, and when the camera is on say 25 fully rendered avis, FPS drops to 8 or so. Move to cam so avis aren't in view - 60 FPS +

Is there some tweaks in Windows or even the nvidia control panel to get things moving faster?  My computer is pretty optimized as far as power plan, running processes etc.. - but maybe there are processes or services running that conflict with SL or something like that. Just kinda reaching for straws here. I am on the latest version of Firestorm BTW. I know SL runs on openGL so maybe there are things that can be better optimized for that as well. I have a 300mbs up/down internet on a wired LAN and am on the east coast so i know my connection speeds are fine

• Haha 1

As far as windows, to improve my sl performance I always alt ctrl del and bring up task manager and end all sl addons, sl add ons usually associated with at least 3 dlls each. Sometimes I will see like 20 dlls running when logging in.

I end all addons which auto ends the dlls. no clue why the extra addons or dlls running. I use the official viewer, not sure what task manager looks like for tpvs.

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

running the latest hardware to better render avatars in a scene without choking the FPS down to like 8 or so? I know there are avatar imposter solution, but what I want to know is if you want all the avis in a area fully rendered, is there anything in Win 11 (or 10) that we can do to speed up the render proccess? I have a 10-700k, a rtx 3070, 32 gig 3200mhz ram, all SSDs, and when the camera is on say 25 fully rendered avis, FPS drops to 8 or so. Move to cam so avis aren't in view - 60 FPS +

Is there some tweaks in Windows or even the nvidia control panel to get things moving faster?  My computer is pretty optimized as far as power plan, running processes etc.. - but maybe there are processes or services running that conflict with SL or something like that. Just kinda reaching for straws here. I am on the latest version of Firestorm BTW. I know SL runs on openGL so maybe there are things that can be better optimized for that as well. I have a 300mbs up/down internet on a wired LAN and am on the east coast so i know my connection speeds are fine

No, because the problem is not in Windows, or your network (if you have ruled out any hardware problems, driver updates, network problems).

It's on SL's end, and has to do with how mesh creators create their stuff, how dense their meshes are with high poly counts, with all the textures they slap on it, how many materials they have on each object (multiplied by each linked object), how many trees and alpha layers are in their sim, how many GB of textures all fighting to be downloaded on entry, etc. THEN SL has to try to calculate lighting and what to draw and when on top of all that.

Avatars are also super high poly, depending on how they dress themselves. Not uncommon either to see a high poly earring set on someone with 8 x 1024 textures yet the only time I will see all that is if I'm zoomed in real close. All of this adds up to lag lag lag sauce.

14 hours ago, Codex Alpha said:

No, because the problem is not in Windows, or your network (if you have ruled out any hardware problems, driver updates, network problems).

It's on SL's end, and has to do with how mesh creators create their stuff, how dense their meshes are with high poly counts, with all the textures they slap on it, how many materials they have on each object (multiplied by each linked object), how many trees and alpha layers are in their sim, how many GB of textures all fighting to be downloaded on entry, etc. THEN SL has to try to calculate lighting and what to draw and when on top of all that.

Avatars are also super high poly, depending on how they dress themselves. Not uncommon either to see a high poly earring set on someone with 8 x 1024 textures yet the only time I will see all that is if I'm zoomed in real close. All of this adds up to lag lag lag sauce.

good to know.. i was hoping i could do something on my end.... Linden wonders why they cant retain new users? you have a 2500 gaming PC and the best one can do in a crowded sim is 6 FPS? maybe that's why lol. Well most users can imposter or derender avis,   I suppose, as a solution. So you can enjoy a crowded event with either cardboard cutouts of people there or nobody at all! lol

6 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

good to know.. i was hoping i could do something on my end.... Linden wonders why they cant retain new users? you have a 2500 gaming PC and the best one can do in a crowded sim is 6 FPS? maybe that's why lol. Well most users can imposter or derender avis,   I suppose, as a solution. So you can enjoy a crowded event with either cardboard cutouts of people there or nobody at all! lol

Have you tried the (beta) Linden Performance Improvements viewer? It contains a bunch of fixes to avatar rendering and provides a good bump in performance in crowded areas.

• Like 1

Your best bet is to install Linux (as a dual boot, if you really cannot do without Windoze)... You frame rates will explode then. I rarely ever render at less than 30fps in worst conditions scenario (with 50 to 200fps most of the time), and that's with graphics maxed out and ”only” a 9700K and a GTX1070Ti...

I tried the Lenden performance viewer, however, as I do videos, the official viewer is far from ideal UI wise to be doing any sort of Machinima work

as far as Linux, dual boot etc etc I barely know anything about Windows let alone take on anything like that! but thats good to know in any case

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.