Scripting: how to convert \n$L to usd in donation script

Angelor Galanter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Angelor Galanter said:

How do I show USD or $ total amount donated instead of amount of lindens donated?

You possibly can't.  The USD amount isn't really solid until the L$ are sold -- at least if they are sold via a Market Sell because the USD amount will be dependent on the exchange rate at the time of selling.  I suppose you could assume that you will sell using a Limit Sell and simply convert your L$ total using a set exchange rate.

Then you'll also need to subtract out the applicable Sell and Process Credit fees from the total.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You possibly can't.  The USD amount isn't really solid until the L$ are sold -- at least if they are sold via a Market Sell because the USD amount will be dependent on the exchange rate at the time of selling.  I suppose you could assume that you will sell using a Limit Sell and simply convert your L$ total using a set exchange rate.

Then you'll also need to subtract out the applicable Sell and Process Credit fees from the total.

However, you can always give a weasely answer.  Just calculate  USDvalue = Lvalue/240 and then have your script say

llSay(0, "Your donation of L$" + (string) Lvalue + " amounts to approximately $" + (string) USDvalue.");

You can even add a qualifying statement to the effect that the actual dollar amount depends on the exchange rate at moment and must be adjusted to account for applicable LindeX fees (see https://secondlife.com/my/lindex/describe-transaction-fees.php).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Angelor Galanter said:

How do I show USD or $ total amount donated instead of amount of lindens donated?

Before you go too far with your project I suggest that you find out if this is LEGAL with Tilia.  It sounds very "gray" to me and not necessarily supported.  In order for Lindens to become USD they need to go through Tilia and peple have to agree to the Tilia TOS in order to sell. So that means if I read the rules correctly that each person giving linden dollars would also need to agree to the Tilia TOS.  Many have of course but not everyone :D. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Before you go too far with your project I suggest that you find out if this is LEGAL with Tilia.  It sounds very "gray" to me and not necessarily supported.  In order for Lindens to become USD they need to go through Tilia and peple have to agree to the Tilia TOS in order to sell. So that means if I read the rules correctly that each person giving linden dollars would also need to agree to the Tilia TOS.  Many have of course but not everyone :D. 

Unless I'm misreading the OP's situation, he is simply wanting to post an informational statement for the donor's benefit.  The donor has presumably just dropped L$ into the scripted donor box.  The box's owner, not the donor, will be doing any conversion to USD later.  The statement is just to let the donor know roughly what his L$ gift was worth.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.