Second Life Region Preservation Society

Prokofy Neva

What is this?

Youth wants to know.

Inara Pey made reference to this putative organization of the Lindens, perhaps with the knowledge of some actual program of theirs; perhaps with just a kind of generic naming of a function they sometimes perform.

Once again, when people complained loudly of a sim going down, the Lindens rescued it (and interestingly, she noted that in doing so, they inserted certain changes, like taking off "glow" which I can only agree with, adding seating, etc. I never went to this sim or even recalled it  (SL is that big I suppose) even though I try to keep a list of RL-related sims or sims related to countries and cultures and actually  had this one but had never explored it.

So naturally I wonder what the criteria for preservation is, and I imagine "it's at the Lindens' discretion," but obviously they do respond to hollering on the forums.

I also wonder if this Society applies to their own builds.

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

What is this?

Youth wants to know.

Inara Pey made reference to this putative organization of the Lindens, perhaps with the knowledge of some actual program of theirs; perhaps with just a kind of generic naming of a function they sometimes perform.

Once again, when people complained loudly of a sim going down, the Lindens rescued it (and interestingly, she noted that in doing so, they inserted certain changes, like taking off "glow" which I can only agree with, adding seating, etc. I never went to this sim or even recalled it  (SL is that big I suppose) even though I try to keep a list of RL-related sims or sims related to countries and cultures and actually  had this one but had never explored it.

So naturally I wonder what the criteria for preservation is, and I imagine "it's at the Lindens' discretion," but obviously they do respond to hollering on the forums.

I also wonder if this Society applies to their own builds.

I have never heard of that Linden organization she references, but the references to lack of glow and to additional seating are regarding the new Tempura Project, a separate locale being built by the creator of Japan Tempura Island. (She has the name of the original location wrong; it's "Japan", not "Japanese".)

LL is preserving the old, original Japan Tempura Island, but while its future was still in doubt, the creator of it started building this new, updated Tempura Project, and has decided to keep on with it even though the original has now been rescued. So now we have two!

I'm looking forward to visiting the new Tempura Project location, because the original location, while beautiful, was always very laggy for me (which detracts a bit from the whole zen thing). 

EDIT: I misspoke about the creator of both projects being the same person. It appears the newer location is being built by someone else as a tribute to the original.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 1

Article including a section explaining the SLRPS:

https://modemworld.me/2020/06/24/sl17b-meet-patch-linden-a-summary-with-video-and-audio/#slrps

Established by Patch to try to preserve historic regions. Examples include:

SS Galaxy [see SS Galaxy refits for a new role, SS Galaxy lowers her gangways to visitors once more and SS Galaxy drops anchor at Bellisseria]

Mont Saint Michel [see Mont Saint Michel returns to Second Life]

The Lost Gardens of Apollo

[and not mentioned, ChouChou – see: Chouchou set to remain in Second Life – and there’s more and Chouchou: The Babel re-opens in Second Life].

The first region to be added to SLRPS was Svarga [see: Svarga: of memories old and new].

Anyone with a region that has a genuine historical context that they do not wish to see lost, but cannot continue to operate it, can approach Patch and his team to see if it might be a candidate for SLRPS preservation.

Regions that are about to be closed / lost can also be nominated for possible preservation by concerned users [as happened most recently with the Chouchou regions].

Not all regions can be preserved. The owner of a region, for example, may not wish it to be preserved, and there might be other reasons why a region cannot come under the SLRPS remit.

SLRPS is really a last step in attempts to save regions – it is much preferred users find a way for regions to continue under their own steam [e.g. via transfer to a new owner].

Regions can also take a lot of support when being preserved and can need a familiar hand involved. Lost Gardens of Apollo is an example [as are the Chouchou regions].

Should also be pointed out that the SS Galaxy can be used for public events – contact the Land team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

LL is preserving the old, original Japan Tempura Island, but while its future was still in doubt, the creator of it started building this new, updated Tempura Project, and has decided to keep on with it even though the original has now been rescued. So now we have two!

So, I'll have to remember that technique.

6 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

OK, thanks for digging that up. So there is such a "Society". Not to be confused with the SL Public Land Preserve founded by aging hippie Random Unsung in 2005 (who recently returned to SL). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

OK, thanks for digging that up. So there is such a "Society". Not to be confused with the SL Public Land Preserve founded by aging hippie Random Unsung in 2005 (who recently returned to SL). 

I actually thought it was the Preserve when I first saw your thread title! I hadn't heard of this LL group before today. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I actually thought it was the Preserve when I first saw your thread title! I hadn't heard of this LL group before today. 

The SL Public Land Preserve saves parcels, not entire regions, and it's more about keeping spaces open to the public with various things to do.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Otoa Kiyori said:

I thought I saw a LSL wiki a while ago... but I cannot find it anymore..

Well, the wiki's LSL portal is here, and you can search the whole SL wiki from there, but I don't see a page for the Society nor the Preserve. On the other hand, the Society has come up in the Forums a few times and the Preserve many more times in case any of that is of interest.

• Like 1