Help with applying layers

MMB Jameson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am back again after being gone for close to a few years. BOM is now in full effect. I have figured it out for the most part when it comes to my head, makeup, etc. I can not get it to work when I want to add a pair of stockings, or add body gliiter and oils. I have the Maitreya body if that helps. I go to add a pair of stockings and I have tried everything, I can not get them to show up. I have tried playing around with the layers on my body hud but it won't work with me doing that either. I'm lost here so if someone could help me I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

The newest version of this body makes me crazy. If I recall, and you have this newest you have to wear the layers attachment. If not layers still matter 1st things 1st I'd try oil, glitter then stockings. 

I've totally stopped using this body unless I have something I have to blog for it.

9 minutes ago, colleen Criss said:

The newest version of this body makes me crazy. If I recall, and you have this newest you have to wear the layers attachment. If not layers still matter 1st things 1st I'd try oil, glitter then stockings. 

I've totally stopped using this body unless I have something I have to blog for it.

Hmm layers attachment. I don't see anything about a layers attachment. I think I have the newest version of this body but IDK. I'm going to go check now, maybe that is the problem.

@MMB Jameson There is a gotcha in BOM... not a bug, just a twist that confuses people.

To understand start with just the classic body. Try wearing the stocking, glitter, whatever. If these are system layer items, you'll see them appear on the classic body. This what we used to do before mesh bodies.

When we attach a prim (even a cube), which a mesh body is a type of prim, the prim has its own textures, materials, and colors. Those on our classic body never show up on the prim, UNLESS we add them to the prim, which is what appliers do. However, with BOM the creator can tell the system to use on THIS PRIM, usually but not limited to a mesh body or head, the textures on the classic body. It is sort of a pass-through. With BOM we do not need an applier the viewer and SL system handle it for us.

If you are using an applier, the stockings, glitter, and other stuff will not show on the classic body. So wearing just the classic body gives you a quick way to tell what is going on with your add-ons.

If you are using an applier and have a body set to Use BOM... it can get confusing. In some cases the layers from the classic body, skin, tats, shirt, etc., show only on the mesh bodies skin layer. All the classic layers combine into that single layer. The appliers can add things to the other layers in the mesh body/head. If those layers are enabled, you see them. If not, you don't.

Some bodies and skin makers use a tattoo for the skin. If added via an applier to the mesh body's tattoo layer... this can effectively hide whatever is on the BOM Skin layer of the mesh body. So stockings, glitter, whatever added to the system layers is hidden on the mesh body.

Pay attention to how you are stacking layers and what you do and don't have enabled. The classic body skin is the base or bottom layer. Everything else stacks on top of skin. BOM puts all the classic layers into the skin layer of mesh bodies... generally. Then all the other layers in a mesh body/head stack on top of that.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.