Cannot walk through doorway - fixable? (solved)

Kira Skydancer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I bought a mesh wall with a doorway for a project... but forgot to check if I can walk through the doorway before adding the door.  Is there a way I can make the door allow me through, without doing the same to the wall? Push comes to shove, there's another similar wall that I can walk through, but would rather learn how to do this than cheat and just rebuild the wall with the other one.

Hopefully that makes sense :)

Never mind. I can't figure out how to delete this, but I changed the wall from convex hull to prim, and that fixed the problem. Adds prims, but ah well.

Edited by Kira Trafalgar
solved.

5 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, Kira Trafalgar said:

I bought a mesh wall with a doorway for a project... but forgot to check if I can walk through the doorway before adding the door.  Is there a way I can make the door allow me through, without doing the same to the wall? Push comes to shove, there's another similar wall that I can walk through, but would rather learn how to do this than cheat and just rebuild the wall with the other one.

Hopefully that makes sense :)

Make sure you have the object set to "prim" physics rather than "convex hull". Convex hull mode shrink-wraps a collision volume around the entire object, filling all holes. "Prim" mode is whatever the maker of the object set up.

If you rez the wall in a sandbox, set it to prim mode, and still can't walk through the door, contact the seller and demand a refund.

Just now, animats said:

Make sure you have the object set to "prim" physics rather than "convex hull". Convex hull mode shrink-wraps a collision volume around the entire object, filling all holes. "Prim" mode is whatever the maker of the object set up.

If you rez the wall in a sandbox, set it to prim mode, and still can't walk through the door, contact the seller and demand a refund.

Thanks. They actually had a notecard about doing this change, I just didn't realize at first this was to make the doorway useable. I sorted it out and edited my post while you were helping me :) Thanks - I didn't really know what convex hull does, except sometimes save prims, but I don't know what it breaks. This was for a Linden home, where prims are precious.

What "convex hull" does is simplify the object's collision envelope, the invisible surface that's used to determine when something (you) collides with the object. When it is set to "prim", this envelope closely follows the shape of the object. This is great for accurately determining interactions, but increases the object's complexity and land impact. When it's set to "convex hull", the envelope becomes much simpler, just following the outer contours of the object. Any holes or openings in the object are ignored. This reduces the land impact, but has the effect of filling openings with an invisible and impassable barrier.

In some cases, setting the object type to "none" may work to allow passage through holes, while not increasing land impact...if it will let you choose this option. However, it may have the effect of making the object behave as if it were phantom, allowing you to walk through the solid parts as well as the opening.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.