Showing up in search

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a couple parcels on a private sim I'm trying to get rented out... and the first one rented out quick, but the other not so much. Looking at the Rental Search thingy,  It doesn't seem to come up. I have the 30/wk checked. Even did a couple classified. Is there anything else to do?

Also.. how does it know if it's to Rent or Buy? I see it has an option to search for rentals but I have no idea how it'd know.

5 hours ago, Chellynne Bailey said:

I have a couple parcels on a private sim I'm trying to get rented out... and the first one rented out quick, but the other not so much. Looking at the Rental Search thingy,  It doesn't seem to come up. I have the 30/wk checked. Even did a couple classified. Is there anything else to do?

Also.. how does it know if it's to Rent or Buy? I see it has an option to search for rentals but I have no idea how it'd know.

If you're checking in the official SL viewer or web search in firestorm or the SL website, those have all been broken for a couple years.  A lot of things don't show up.  There is no fix in sight.  Luckily,  the search in Firestorm still.uses legacy search options so people can probably find it there.  

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 3:35 AM, Chellynne Bailey said:

The system can't know unless you put the words "for rent" or "for sale" in your description because there isn't a category to draw down for "rent" -- curiously while it is on individual parcels as an option, it is not available in search. The Lindens apparently believe their other category of "land for sale" is sufficient. But there isn't a toggle of THAT category to show the range of price on a *rental*, only a sale. So you have to write that in your description. 

So look up "Ravenglass" in search/places to see how I do it; or look up "Good Life" or "Naked Landlady" or "Excalibur" or any of the other rental companies and see how they do it, and figure out what works for you and your parcel.

Many people use search/places and not classifieds and not "land for sale" or "land for rent" which are cumbersome to use and have to keep being reset. On the Firestorm and other third-party viewers, these still work fairly well to turn up searches on key words or phrases, say "waterfront" or "forest" or "$300 per week" or something like that.

On the regular viewer, it was severely broken more than a year ago; the Lindens don't fully understand how they broke it or *that* it is broken; they are tinkering with search now with the help of Google experts, and may God have mercy on their souls.

Amazingly, even newbies on the regular SL viewer, which I myself prefer, somehow stumble on my rentals through search/places, classifieds, picks, and word of mouth, as well as ads in stores or terminals with latest listings in my offices. 

It's worth spending time to get your text right in the description, and to refine and update it and try different things. I think writing a full coherent sentence is better than stringing a bunch of key words on it like a bot.

Try an ad in the section on the forums for advertising parcels for rent on Mainland or private islands.

I personally find Alchemy, the TCP of my choice, the best in search/places in giving you a clean, coherent, easily viewed list of rentals on a given search term, whether the company name, or a feature like "waterfront". It behaves how I expect it to behave as the old regular SL viewer did before it was broken. So if I purchase 100 30L ads in search/places by checking off the box and paying 30L per week per parcel, then if I search on my company name, I get only the 100 parcels and nothing else, not my parcels NOT in search; not various sim names, which is useless as people don't need a search return with an entire sim they can't TP to effectively without landing in the water or a wall; they need an individual parcel placed in search -- and not somebody else's rentals.

Note this is not about being *on top* in search, a state which I do not seek and can't realistically expect as a small Mainland business. I'm talking about -- as you are -- merely SHOWING UP in search, which I think I should have a reasonable expectation to do if I paid 30L per parcel and search on my company name. If I search on the term "rentals," understood, I won't show up unless I page in maybe half a dozen or a dozen pages or whatever. But on a company name? 

Search with the term "Linden Lab" with closed quotes or not, and you will grasp the brokenness.

I think whatever you do, stay consistent for your potential customers so they always see the same company name, the same description, prices that are predictable for what they are, e.g. waterfront is X per prim, mountain top is Y per prim.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.