What does avatar "texture area" mean?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was recently at an event and noticed that a nearby avatar was a jelly doll. My viewer's maximum complexity was set ay 350,000, so that was unexpected. The displayed complexity value for the avatar was not excessive. In addition to complexity, there was a value for "Texture Area" displayed in the avatar's tag. I forget the exact nimber, but it was between one and two meters. When I changed my viewer maximum complexity from 350,000 to "No Limit," the avatar quickly rezzed.

Can someone explain what was going on? I was using Firestorm.

Edited by Jennifer Boyle

• Jennifer Boyle changed the title to What does avatar "texture area" mean?

Texture Area is a measure of the area of textures to be rendered. Think of it as if you were making a shirt that needed two yards (meters) of material.

Griefers figured out they could overload graphics card by increasing the texture area by a ridiculous amount. So rather than put a rug on the floor think of taking the rug from the floor to the ceiling, like a curtain, then back to the floor and repeating once ever inch across the room. So in a 20x20 room instead of having a 20x20 piece of carpet on the floor you would have a 20x4,800 piece filling the room from top to bottom.

To avoid griefer problems most of us avoid using the "No Limit" option. I run my FS viewer on 125k to 150k. I see few JellyDolls.

As you change the complexity limit I think the Texture Area limit changes too and is removed when set to No Limit. But it is an individual setting you can adjust... if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.