Complexity

MissPreciousJewel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

have recent gone to bom and i am wondering if it at all Increases my complexity. I have Bom tattoo's Make up eyeshadow thingss like that. My partner says my complety is high. So along with my jewelry and what not i am would like to if i have to remove my bom things to lower my compexity.   Thanks for your help.

Of all the factors you mentioned, BoM is the only thing which won't affect your complexity.
BoM is just a few textures (typically three textures. Four if you are wearing a Lelutka head and are wearing ear layers), each texture is composed of the different layers that you may have added. 
Jewelry, however is notorious for adding  lot of complexity to an avatar, so is hair although for both goes that it all depends on the creator.
There are bodies which by default also add a lot of complexity, Legacy is one of the worst in that respect.

So in short, BoM changes nothing about a high complexity.
What you should do, however, is make it so you can see your own complexity (I forgot how, but it's quite easy in Firestorm), then start taking off attachments. Start with your clothes, your jewelry, your hair, other attachments (tail? cat ears?) even spankers if you wear them, just everything one at a time and see what causes the biggest drop in your complexity. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

if you go into your appearance tab and then open the "wearing tab" , it will show you the complexity of each item you are currently wearing. You'll see the the bom texture will count 0 , and dense mesh using too many ( and too big ) textures will add significantly to the complexity. With proper made items, inlcuding good jewlery, hair, body + clothes, it's not difficult to stay below 50K complexity. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Salt Peppermint said:

if you go into your appearance tab and then open the "wearing tab" , it will show you the complexity of each item you are currently wearing. You'll see the the bom texture will count 0 , and dense mesh using too many ( and too big ) textures will add significantly to the complexity. With proper made items, inlcuding good jewlery, hair, body + clothes, it's not difficult to stay below 50K complexity. 

Take the numbers shown with a pinch of salt. There are lots of things that are not expensive to render, but the algorithm that calculates complexity aggressively punishes (and vice versa).

The number is calculated by the viewer and then sent to all the nearby avatars, not all viewers calculate the numbers the same way, some make up entirely different numbers. So what's 5000 for you with your viewer, might be 2000 for someone else on a different one.

We're supposed to be getting updated better numbers from LL with project ArcTan, but hasn't been any movement on it in years.

(Will follow up at the next TPV and ask, thanks for the reminder)

35 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Take the numbers shown with a pinch of salt. There are lots of things that are not expensive to render, but the algorithm that calculates complexity aggressively punishes (and vice versa).

The number is calculated by the viewer and then sent to all the nearby avatars, not all viewers calculate the numbers the same way, some make up entirely different numbers. So what's 5000 for you with your viewer, might be 2000 for someone else on a different one.

We're supposed to be getting updated better numbers from LL with project ArcTan, but hasn't been any movement on it in years.

(Will follow up at the next TPV and ask, thanks for the reminder)

but at least it gives a pretty good direction and points to the very high render costs things when you wear a ring for example with a complecity of 80K alone... and all other numbers are below 10K, it will surely make you think 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

My avatar is always around 24,500 or less complexity without jewelry.
The complexity can go crazy because of one item, usually a hair or very high detailed jewelry.
 I have one mesh hair that raises the complexity number to 140k (!) and one piece of bangs that are over 4000.
Check every item you wear, usually items with lots of scripts cause this. Even the smallest item can be so high.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bateliii said:

Check every item you wear, usually items with lots of scripts cause this. Even the smallest item can be so high.

Yes, check every item, but no, don't concern yourself with Complexity. It's a completely useless metric, even as a "rough guide."

Instead, at least if you're on Firestorm, you can now use the new performance tool to check how much time your viewer spends on rendering your attachments.

While render time is also subjective (depends on your computer and camera angle), at least you can finally see what is directly causing your framerate to drop. This will also reveal how far off Complexity is, which has been acknowledged by LL.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.