Why is viewer restart required?

Furholio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

14 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

My all time favorite scope was Dad's Tek 2465. I grew up on four channels, so it's hard to consider less.

I've noticed $60 scopes reviewed. I know mine was cheap but not THAT cheap. Hope I'm fine with 2 channels.. honestly, I don't remember using them in college. Only got one recently for the new "retro" hobbies (synthesizer stuff, electronics repair). 

Now I remember, chose it for "serial decoding" feature. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I keep looking at portable scopes, but the reality is I'm something of a shut in (yaay anxiety 🥳), so as much as I like my toys ...

I was pondering one of these two

https://siglentna.com/product/sds1202x-e/

https://siglentna.com/product/sds1104x-e-100-mhz/

2 channels 200Mhz vs 4 channels 100Mhz and a logic analyzer option .. leaning towards the 200Mhz and a separate logic analyzer, should do me for all the junk I seem to spend my life poking.

I got this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08J3SDBDT

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 12:50 PM, Monty Linden said:

Hahaha.  It's long been desired.  Short answer:  it's work to implement.  Viewer evolved without a reset-to-initialized transition and putting one in now would take some archaeology.  But there's no technical barrier.

I'm curious if technically, when connection is lost, the viewer "crashes" since the needed stuffs for reconnect are missing!

On 3/1/2022 at 1:57 PM, Ardy Lay said:

Computer Science is often stated as doing the same thing over and over and getting various different results. 

If I met a programmer who took that approach, I would not hire them. (33 years experience, but started in the 70's as a kid.)

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't remember what Dad paid for the 2465, but it was more than my first year's college tuition, and more than his car.

There's a YouTube channel where the guy teaches repair of such things, with a big smile..from his big warehouse stacked to the ceiling with them. Like a dragon and its hoard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I'm curious if technically, when connection is lost, the viewer ”crashes” since the needed stuffs for reconnect are missing!

Again, the viewer does not crash (if it does, it's a bug in the viewer you are using). It simply looses connection to the sims, and since there is no order (neither a protocol to transmit such an order) from a grid server to reconnect to another sim, it simply is left ”in the blue” and cannot continue without an ”agent region” (a sim where the agent is present/connected).

11 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Again, the viewer does not crash (if it does, it's a bug in the viewer you are using). It simply looses connection to the sims, and since there is no order (neither a protocol to transmit such an order) from a grid server to reconnect to another sim, it simply is left ”in the blue” and cannot continue without an ”agent region” (a sim where the agent is present/connected).

Since it is not in a "recoverable" state - I disagree. A "Not recoverable" state is indistinguishable from a "crash".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Since it is not in a ”recoverable” state - I disagree. A ”Not recoverable” state is indistinguishable from a ”crash”.

You are wrong... A crash is when you encounter an illegal instruction in a program, causing an exception. You then get a crash dump.

In the case of a disconnection the viewer is sitting there (and you still can operate its UI) but unable to do anything that requires an active connection to the agent sim. The viewer won't crash, even if you keep it like that for hours.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 7:52 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

There's a YouTube channel where the guy teaches repair of such things, with a big smile..from his big warehouse stacked to the ceiling with them. Like a dragon and its hoard.

Mr Carlsons Lab? Great channel.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2022 at 10:51 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Since it is not in a "recoverable" state - I disagree. A "Not recoverable" state is indistinguishable from a "crash".

As @Henri Beauchampnotes it's not really a crash as the viewer is perfectly ready to do its part of the bargain, but the universe has flipped it the bird. It is a flaw in the wider system though.

What typically happens is that the handover protocol fails. The protocol is overly optimistic, the region you leave forgets about you before the one you are going to is fully onboard with accepting you and thus you get orphaned.

Ever squeezed your car into a tight parking space only to find that when you want to leave you can't work out how the hell you ever managed to get in? That's the viewer in mid TP fail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beq Janus said:

As @Henri Beauchampnotes it's not really a crash as the viewer is perfectly ready to do its part of the bargain, but the universe has flipped it the bird. It is a flaw in the wider system though.

What typically happens is that the handover protocol fails. The protocol is overly optimistic, the region you leave forgets about you before the one you are going to is fully onboard with accepting you and thus you get orphaned.

Ever squeezed your car into a tight parking space only to find that when you want to leave you can't work out how the hell you ever managed to get in? That's the viewer in mid TP fail.

Surely it should be possible for the viewer to say "heck it then" and open a brand new connection to a sim, not unlike logging in initially? As far as my (very light/experimental) experience goes, "avatar presence" is separate from being logged in (and makes sense as far as teleporting goes...), so it would seem like a failed TP is still recoverable, unless there's other gotchas.

I say this because I've recently gotten back into tinkering with my own little SL login program, so I've spent an unhealthy amount of time investigating the network protocol.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.