Making an alpha/auto hide? How difficult?

Katherine Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, I have a cyber-genre "proto arm" from The Forge (it's cool) I sometimes wear on my left forearm. Problem is that it needs the left hand turned on/off in the Maitreya alpha tab every time I put the arm on/off. How easy is it to make an alpha for that item, or items generally that have auto alpha cuts when they are put on (like many clothing brands do these day)?

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Hi all, I have a cyber-genre "proto arm" from The Forge (it's cool) I sometimes wear on my left forearm. Problem is that it needs the left hand turned on/off in the Maitreya alpha tab every time I put the arm on/off. How easy is it to make an alpha for that item, or items generally that have auto alpha cuts when they are put on (like many clothing brands do these day)?

I recall @Orwarposting a thread on how to make alphas.

There's also an almost free pack on the MP

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/LBD-BOMSystem-Alpha-Layers-Full-Perm/18683103

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

Making an alpha is really easy. But, when it comes to hands and feet, there's some caveats. Firstly, alphas don't work on nails (on Maitreya at least), and secondly, hands/arms are mirrored, i.e. you can only alpha neither or both at the same time (same with tattoos and skins and such).

It might be easier to just make a save stick to alpha what needs alpha'd, it's as straightforward as: rez a copy of the stick, name it something like 'Save Stick: Forge Cyber Arm Alpha', pick it up, put it on, and hit the save all button once you've set up the alpha in your main HUD. Then just keep that save stick with the arm, and whenever you want to quickly put on the alpha just wear it again and click it, then 'load alpha'.

One downside to this though is that it saves your entire alpha setting. So if you've put on an outfit and used alpha bits in the HUD already, the save stick will turn them off.

You also can set up an auto-hide script fairly easily, the instructions for that can be found here: https://sl-maitreya.blogspot.com/p/alpha-auto-hide.html

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.