LL should make simpler looking starter avatars

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

You'll still be stuck with the problem of the people who wear those off-brand "free" mesh avatars. Nobody makes clothes for them. Nobody makes skins for them. Will designers want to sink time into rigging for a population of people who won't even buy a mesh body? Sounds like they'd take a loss there, honestly.

the idea is that new people have a starting avatar on which they can learn how to edit/change their appearance, on an avatar which broadly follows the conventions of today's modern bom mesh avatar

i think is more about simplifying the learning path of how to do edit/change appearance, more than it is about what they look like

for example: when a male Complete Avatar is picked, it makes a named folder in Clothing folder:  Named folder: Ashton,  Feng, Leonard, etc

when say wearing Ashton and go into Leonard folder then can change to Leonard hair, skin, clothes, etc. And generally Leonard garments will fit Ashton. Same in reverse, as they all rigged for the classic avatar shape

the issue tho is that, how to do mix n match is not always intuitive for the new person

they just have to know to find the named folders in their Inventory. They just have to know that Monty is the name of the grunge rock guy avatar (there is nothing on the selector dialog to tell them I am Monty). Nor when Monty is selected from the dialog does it open in inventory to the newly created Monty folder in Clothing. Nor for any of the others selected

maybe it could be this simple. When select Monty then open inventory and highlight Monty named folder. When this happens then new person will also see folders for Leonard or Feng or Ashton or whichever they have previously selected.  It gives the new person, information that they are not currently receiving

and the curious will open the folders they can see and think hmm! I wonder if I can change my eyes, hair, clothes, etc, Like can I wear Ashton hair on my Monty. oooo! yes I can cool. What else can I change too

Edited by Mollymews
moe
  • Like 3

Hi...I am new to SL. I think the people who make up the newbie avatars sit around the table and laugh. Come ON! Really weird clothes, hats, bags whatever. Why make all the girls faces basically the same? Be nice to us beginners..we are trying. 🥺 It would help the the creators of products would have a written tutorial on how to use their products, so you can buy a mesh head and actually see how to put it on and be happy with it...hmmnn? I have spent hours searching for the most understandable tutorials on mesh heads. I saved tons of them and only 2 or 3 were clear to me. Why do starter avies have thick black eyeliner on? Yuck! Just sayin...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jadoline said:

Hi...I am new to SL. I think the people who make up the newbie avatars sit around the table and laugh. Come ON! Really weird clothes, hats, bags whatever. Why make all the girls faces basically the same? Be nice to us beginners..we are trying. 🥺 It would help the the creators of products would have a written tutorial on how to use their products, so you can buy a mesh head and actually see how to put it on and be happy with it...hmmnn? I have spent hours searching for the most understandable tutorials on mesh heads. I saved tons of them and only 2 or 3 were clear to me. Why do starter avies have thick black eyeliner on? Yuck! Just sayin...

Yeah, that's been an issue for ages.  I think when we were all using variants of the starter avatar (the default or system avatar), that the thick eyeliner was en vogue, and it's never really left.  It might also be an issue with delineating the eyes, and with the system avatar those are less clear without the eyeliner.

This is why I put forth my suggestion that the starter avatars include a fully mesh avatar with the ability to learn to customize in a manner similar to how the purchased avatars work.  If folks get too frustrated with how they look, they'll leave.  If they have the ability to learn how to do so, even if it's just a stepping stone to a full-out purchased body and head, it would help with user satisfaction and retention.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.