Prim rezzer(s)?

Feorie Frimon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I’m looking for a specific device that I have seen in world, but I don’t know what it’s called.

It’s some kind of prim rezzer that only rezzer prims when there is an avatar in range… it seems like the idea is that the prims are depressed unless someone is around. I feel like I heard there was something similar in the old Campbell Coast skyboxes - I’m looking to do something similar with a build I’m working on. 

Anyone know what I’m talking about? And if you, can you hook me up with a link to the item pretty please? :)

19 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

I’m looking for a specific device that I have seen in world, but I don’t know what it’s called.

It’s some kind of prim rezzer that only rezzer prims when there is an avatar in range… it seems like the idea is that the prims are depressed unless someone is around. I feel like I heard there was something similar in the old Campbell Coast skyboxes - I’m looking to do something similar with a build I’m working on. 

Anyone know what I’m talking about? And if you, can you hook me up with a link to the item pretty please? :)

Is this you need?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/ZEROPRIM-REGIONAL-TEMP-REZZER-v444/1269183

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2022 at 2:00 AM, Feorie Frimon said:
On 1/9/2022 at 1:38 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

just adding, temp rezzers are know lag monsters, and as so forbidden at many estates and rentals.( also not allowed in Belliseria)

Also super useful! TY!

The laggy part is knowing if someone's around, and re-rezzing if the thing is set to temporary. a rezzer of a single item that's activated by touch is fairly straight forward.

6 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

The laggy part is knowing if someone's around, and re-rezzing if the thing is set to temporary. a rezzer of a single item that's activated by touch is fairly straight forward.

But what prevents people from texting a million of them? Is there a way to stop that?

41 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

But what prevents people from texting a million of them? Is there a way to stop that?

( the rezzer on click as Quistess mentions is something different, like for example a home rezzer =click-rezz-done)

( vey old article from  http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/54/59/173988/1.html but still relevant as far i know)

Second Life allows a scripter to rezz ("create"http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/_imgs/smileys/wink.png an object out of another prims inventory. That object can be set to be temporary. What this meant in the past was that the prims that made up that object was not counted against the land owners prim usage as Linden Labs decided, since temporary objects only last a couple of minutes at most, there was no need. This has recently changed so that at least some value of the prims are counted against the land owners prim allowance, but still not all of them.

A temp rezzer will then rezz an object from its prims inventory that is set to be temporary. It will then wait for about one minute and destroy the old object, rezz a new copy and no one is the wiser. The temporary clock on the server is reset back to zero. Prim counts stay lower than they should be, and no one even noticed it happen it happens so fast.

The problem

Prim counts were created by Linden Labs for a very good reason. The more prims there are on a sim, the more work the server has keeping them all in world. So a limit was instituted to stop people essentially overworking the servers. The use of temp-rezzers negates that restriction, allowing land owners to use more prims on their land than they are allowed, thereby causing additional strain on the server.

Also, because these objects are destroyed and re-rezzed every minute, that produces a lot of extra lag on the server.

Why is it dangerous?

The danger I want to point out is to the scripter creating, or the land owner using, a temp rezzer system. As described above, temp rezzers are really a hack, or for a stronger word, abuse, of the temporary settings of prims. They were never designed to be used in this fashion. Believe me when I say that Linden Labs is aware of these objects and that they are undoubtedly trying to find ways to counter them. Linden Labs has four options open to them:

1. Leave the situation as it is and see how widespread it becomes, its affect on the grid, etc. It would seem that Linden Labs has not chosen this due to point number 2 coming up.

2. Find a way to, in the short term, make these objects less effective and see if that will bring things back under control. Linden Labs has done this by making temporarily rezzed objects at least count to some degree to the prim usage on a land owners land.

3. Remove the temporary prim property completely. This is the easiest way to solve the problem but probably unlikely to be implemented as there are many valid and perfectly legitimate ways that temporary prims are used. Taking this course of action is very heavy handed and would lead to massive discontent in the community.

4. Find a long term solution that can detect and disable/remove scripts that perform the temp rezzing themselves. This is the most likely route and one I wouldn't be surprised to learn Linden is working on already. This is also very difficult because scripters are actually pretty clever at finding ways around restrictions, so it will be a constant battle between LL and the scripters to get these kinds of devices working.

Conclusion

So, the whole point is if you are currently or thinking of using a temp rezzing device, my advice would be don't. Linden Labs is sure to find a way to disable the features of temp rezzers making them useless and a waste of money. And the negative effects on sim servers, even if Linden never did a thing about temp rezzers, makes it a bad idea anyway.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.