Snapshot Save to Inventory Default Size in SL Viewer

Jaylinbridges

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I put this here instead of Photography forum, because nobody in their right mind would take a picture using Save to Inventory for L$10 with the SL Viewer.

However I have a friend who is still using the SL Viewer and just wants to take snapshots of her SL life on the spot, and send them to friends or drag them to a picture frame.  So she uses the miserable Save To Inventory (L$10/pic) option in Snapshot, and given the number of pics she takes, is likely the profit center for LL.

Here is the problem.  When you go to Save to Inventory in Snapshot, there is a choice for pixel resolution - Small (128x128), Medium (256x256),  Large (512x512), and Current Window (512x512).  The only resolution to use, unless you are making postage stamp textures, is 512x512.  And that is still a lousy picture too, but it's LL.   If you set to Large, it only stays at Large while you are logged in.  Since she frequently crashes, when she takes another pic, the SL Viewer defaults back to Small (128x128).  And yes, she should check it, but she doesn't remember, or uses the shortcut.  I cannot look at a 128x128 pixel pictures hanging on a wall without my eyes going nuts from the lousy fuzzy low resolution.  

So finally the technical question:  Is there a way to make the SL Viewer Snapshot Save to Inventory default to Large (512x512) and stay there after a logout?  Why does LL default to the worst possible picture resolution, and then charge you L$10 to store it? 

The Firestorm viewer remembers the last resolution you set to, even after a relog.  And of course her dumping the SL Viewer for FS would solve this problem.  But it's not going to happen soon. 

• 3 weeks later...

Still no one knows or cares about this really bad default setting in the SL Viewer?

Guess I can submit a JIRA, and be told it's not a problem, because they never use the stupid save to inventory PIC function anyway...

Here's a fine example of high tech digital photography by the SL Viewer in the year 2022 - the stupid 128x128 pixel default setting for snapshots in the latest SL Viewer.   Anyone got a dollar store kids camera, it does better than this.  And they charge your account $L 10 to save this!

f7fc31b1519f9b1ae779d1247851b1f4.jpg

Edited by Jaylinbridges

512 is the max for save to inventory. Much better to use save to disk in the resolution of your choosing then upload them back into the viewer using CTRL U or Build > Upload > Image. You will still be charged L$10 for the upload though.

Edited by MarissaOrloff

agree that the Linden viewer snapshot dialog Save To Inventory size setting should persist across logins

i think on login, the snapshot dialog is supposed to initialise to Debug Settings: LastSnapshotToInventoryHeight and LastSnapshotToInventoryWidth.  But it doesn't, so might just be broken

best to raise a JIRA about it and maybe Linden will fix it: https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa?null

I am advocating here for the normal non-tech person in SL that has no idea what a pixel is and uses a one shot auto camera on their smart phone.

I would NEVER use the useless save to inventory option in Snapshot, because even 512x512 is a bad joke

But I am sent useless 128x128 photos that should be at least 1024x1024, all the time.  It is because the non tech SL resident either doesnt know any better, OR, they set the resolution to 512x512, the Maximum for direct inventory save, and when they relog it goes back to 128x128.  There should be NO CHARGE for any 128x128 pic.  Firestorm and all other TPV's do save the last resolution between logins.  But what kind of Priority you think LL would give a JIRA that asks them to at least match the TPVs on something as simple as this?  

256x256 might be worth 1 $L, and 512x512 maybe 2 $L.   But I bet LL makes a lot of money charging 10 $L for a useless photos taken by the masses.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

what kind of Priority you think LL would give a JIRA that asks them to ... [fix something that is broken when it shouldn't be, as it never used to be broken in earlier versions of the viewer]

pretty good actually if somebody files a JIRA bug issue.  If nobody files a JIRA then the priority assigned to a not existent JIRA is zero

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

But what kind of Priority you think LL would give a JIRA that asks them to at least match the TPVs on something as simple as this?  

And while you're at it, you might as well mention that they could add support for 1024x1024 snapshots 😁 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tomm55 said:

And while you're at it, you might as well mention that they could add support for 1024x1024 snapshots 😁 

What? With the shortage of bit storage these days, what with all the rain in the clouds shorting out the magnetic core memories built in 1954, asking LL to store more bits for 1024x1024 snapshots would cost them a small fortune.  Or at least they might try to say that.  

sarcasm off

Edited by Jaylinbridges

2 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

What? With the shortage of bit storage these days, what with all the rain in the clouds shorting out the magnetic core memories built in 1952, asking LL to store more bits for 1024x1024 snapshots would cost them a small fortune.  Or at least they might try to say that.  

sarcasm off

Haha :D Anyway, SL already supports uploading 1024x1024 textures at the same price of L$10. So it's probably just a matter of allowing it in the snapshot tool in viewer.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.