Crash on launch

Alazarin Mondrian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My Second Life viewer [latest version] crashes on launch or within moments of connecting to a sim. Graphics card: GTX 1050 Ti, CPU: i7 10700, OS: Windows 11, latest Nvidia drivers. Never had this problem before.

I appears that I've fixed it. Solution:

1] Uninstall all Nvidia drivers and apps [look in Apps & Features and select 'uninstall'], run Driver Fusion [the free version will do the trick] to clean up, then do a quick registry cleanup using Wise 365 + C Cleaner...

2] reboot, then force Windows to uninstall the remaining Nvidia device drivers showing in the device manager...

3] reboot, then let Windows install the Microsoft WHQL drivers through the device manager.

4] Stay away from the official Nvidia Windows 11 drivers for the time being and do not install GeForce Experience. It will only end in tears.

Edited by Alazarin Mondrian
Found a solution I wish to share.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While my situation is different in so many ways, running the Firestorm viewer under Linux, there does seem to be something risky about the latest nVidia driver versions. I have a suspicion I am seeing a side effect of the viewer's dependence on OpenGL, but, whatever your system, I would recommend being prepared to roll back any nVidia driver upgrade.

12 hours ago, arabellajones said:

While my situation is different in so many ways, running the Firestorm viewer under Linux, there does seem to be something risky about the latest nVidia driver versions. I have a suspicion I am seeing a side effect of the viewer's dependence on OpenGL, but, whatever your system, I would recommend being prepared to roll back any nVidia driver upgrade.

Under Linux, the current NVIDIA driver v495 (”new feature branch release” driver) got issues. Keep using v470 (”production branch release” driver) for now...

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2021 at 5:40 PM, Henri Beauchamp said:

Under Linux, the current NVIDIA driver v495 (”new feature branch release” driver) got issues. Keep using v470 (”production branch release” driver) for now...

Unless you have a g-sync compatible monitor where 470.74 and 470.82 will result in a black screen. Fixed in 495.44 and 470.86

3 hours ago, MarissaOrloff said:

Unless you have a g-sync compatible monitor where 470.74 and 470.82 will result in a black screen. Fixed in 495.44 and 470.86

v495.x (x=any, so far, 44 included) got a lot of problems, such as performances issues, suspend/resume, sync, Vulkan, Wayland, dbus, etc... Just have a look at NVIDIA's forum.

The latest is not always the greatest.

On 11/13/2021 at 8:43 AM, Henri Beauchamp said:

v495.x (x=any, so far, 44 included) got a lot of problems, such as performances issues, suspend/resume, sync, Vulkan, Wayland, dbus, etc... Just have a look at NVIDIA's forum.

The latest is not always the greatest.

I do understand you Henri. It's a New Branch Release but luckily I have not had any of those issues. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.