Photoshop disabling 3D features....

Finite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I generate normals in Photoshop too. But there are a number of online tools that will do it for you for free, like https://cpetry.github.io/NormalMap-Online/ or just google "normal map generator online" till you find one you are happy with.

I would not learn Substance just to generate a normal map from an image, there are plenty of easier ways to do it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I'm curious what your 3D workflow is now .. I've never used the 3D in PS,.

Oh it's pretty useful for plebs like me who can't do materials in Blender or Maya but can simulate them using various textures in PS. I am not a 3d builder or anything. I just like to tinker with things. Currently trying to make a glass visor for this helmet I got.

glass sample_001.jpg

Edited by Finite

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You know you can generate normals from geometry right?

Make a high detail model and bake that onto a low poly model with normal map for upload.

Yes I am sure there are other programs I could use. Just upset PS is getting rid of it since I've been using Adobe products since like 2009? It's what I am more familiar with. I do mostly 2D. I don't do anything in 3D software however it's on my list of things to learn. Sometimes I'll tinker with textures to get an effect I am looking for in game for a picture or just to wear around. I'm not working with actual models or anything.

Edited by Finite

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You know you can generate normals from geometry right?

Make a high detail model and bake that onto a low poly model with normal map for upload.

The 3D filter for generating normals in Photoshop is particularly useful when you don't actually have access to the model, for example when using a full perm model you have purchased and you only have AO maps and are making your own textures, you can then generate normals from those.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

The 3D filter for generating normals in Photoshop is particularly useful when you don't actually have access to the model, for example when using a full perm model you have purchased and you only have AO maps and are making your own textures, you can then generate normals from those.

Ya this was another thing I was hoping to get into down the line.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.