Min mesh prim cost.

Gearsawe Stonecutter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So now what is the formula? When uploading a simple low prim mesh such as a triangle the prim cost is 1.5. The more you link together the cost per prim slowly decreases.

So basically the work around now will be sell your stuff mod copy so it can be linked to other mod copy stuff. The more things a person links together the less the prim cost will be.

Second problem you are low on prims and building something. The cost is low for all prims you have. You unlink everything. All the sudden the prim cost increases and things get returned.

Not to mention the new bug where adding a script to a mesh and it doubles the prim cost LOL. CTS-613:  I hope this is a bug and not a new feature.

Anyways end of my little rant.

CTS-613 is all kinds of wacky right there.

The prim cost thing though will be subject to change over the coming weeks after the new format finishes, as per the Lindens today.  To reference Runitai, he expects the system to change 5 times before it goes live.

okay well you know we can't bet on this. TOS

Will be interesting to see what the prim cost end up being. Right now it seems to be getting way to complex. you really don;t know what the cost will be till you actually hit the Upload button jsut to find out days of work will be to much cost wise.

It just is getting very frustrating seeing something which was great getting worse and the value of mesh is slow decreasing.

It's only against the ToS if it's gambling, this is a sure thing.  >3

I'm not sure I agree so much about mesh getting worse.  Nailing down a prim cost will be vital to its being of value to builders, and I agree that making it easier to calculate will be important as well so you can look at your vertex/poly count and say "Ok, that's definitely going to be under X prims."  As someone focusing primarily on avatars (though there is that giant tree I mentioned.  Also not so hot on the idea of only 64m^3 since a multi-part tree 150-200m tall and wide will likely vary on LoD looks) I'm not as interested in prim counts as long as it attaches.

If the value of Mesh Imports is only defined by the low prim factor nobody needs Mesh Imports as a builder. I thought it was about doing the most gorgeous things which you cannot do with prims? About a "new wave of creativity"? I can build a somehow very detailed item with conventional prims, too, you know. I´d only need some. If creativity is defined by reducing the prim count of a chair from 6 to 1, then there is something wrong with the Linden definition of "creativity".

Gearsawe Stonecutter wrote: you really don;t know what the cost will be till you actually hit the Upload button jsut to find out days of work will be to much cost wise.

Nothing prevents you from doing intermediate uploads on the beta grid and checking.  When developing my mesh avatar model, I needed to do that dozens of times to work out the bugs in the rigging.  Also, as soon as the cost formula are final, people will make graphs and tables so you have a rough idea of how many triangles in the model translate to prim count ahead of time.

DanielRavenNest Noe wrote:

Gearsawe Stonecutter wrote: you really don;t know what the cost will be till you actually hit the Upload button jsut to find out days of work will be to much cost wise.

Nothing prevents you from doing intermediate uploads on the beta grid and checking.  When developing my mesh avatar model, I needed to do that dozens of times to work out the bugs in the rigging. 
Also, as soon as the cost formula are final, people will make graphs and tables so you have a rough idea of how many triangles in the model translate to prim count ahead of time.

Wouldn't it be fairly reasonable to think that when the cost formula is finished, it will be possible to show the (L$) cost for the model in the upload panel?

- Luc -

"Also not so hot on the idea of only 64m^3 since a multi-part tree 150-200m tall and wide will likely vary on LoD looks"

Well, this is likely to change, but at the moment you get no reduction in cost for having the lower LODs if your mesh radius is greater than 34.66m (about 40x40x40 for a cube bb). So for your big tree pieces you might as well use the same mesh in all the LOD slots. Then there would be no LOD problem (although some developers might not be pleased with you!).

The challenge is to create something beautiful with detail using all the tools in your tool box, trying to keep it within a reasonable prim count. Prim count is important to people, especially if you have a 512 sq.m. parcel with an allotment of only 117 prims to work with.

For those with larger parcels and more prims to work with, other considerations come into play. If the object is central to your theme or a focal point, you would be willing to spend more precious prims on it than you would something in the corner of a building, rarely seen.

Sometimes detail is important and worth the additional prim count and sometimes it is not.

If you build anything, Vivienne, even with conventional prims, you know this already.

You hate mesh. We get it. Your communication has been successful.

Well for some people when it comes to buying items to use and decorate with the number of prims it uses is a big factor to them. Actually I would think lower prim cost would be better in one way for SL economy.  The fewer prims something takes the more items a person can buy to fill up that space effectively increasing number of transactions between residents.

Here you are. I'm not going to use them until they are settled though. Physics cost seem to have just gone through the roof.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Mesh_Streaming_Cost

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Mesh_physics

Note that the important implementations of these are on the server, so we can't see the actual source code.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.