Blaming the victims

Khalhys Ahren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A few months back, I had been falsely accused of whiteknighting and harassment on a roleplay sim. Scapegoated, even. The truth is that I was the one BEING harassed, and the sim administrator has been as irresponsible as to play favorites with the one who pressed these false charges within the group. What happened to me was so bad, it caused me to leave because of how horribly treated I was. And I'm not the only victim of this who was unjustly accused. And enough is enough. Due to wanting to stay within the code of conduct, I refuse to disclose any names. Is there any particular category that libel falls under in submitting an abuse report?

• Haha 1

5 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Khalhys Ahren said:

Is there any particular category that libel falls under in submitting an abuse report?

Not really. What you describe falls into the broad, fuzzy category of "Disputes Between Residents".  Article 6 of the LL TOS says, in part, "We are not responsible or liable for the conduct or content of any user. We reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or become involved in disputes between you and other users."   In other words, work it out between you or walk away from the dispute. LL may intervene if it's absolutely necessary, but don't count on it.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

As what Rolig stated there isn't much you can do on rumors or harassment. My suggestion is when looking for a RP sim ask around if it has a good history or bad history. Each RP is different some are good some are bad but frankly with the harassment stuff you can just put yourself in where friends can only see you online if you use firestorm and in communication tab check the tabs to keep people from messaging you unless a friend. In this case when it comes from OOC drama in a RP scene walking away is the best option and starting over isn't what I would do. Just try to find an RP sim that suits you for yourself and what you like to RP as. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Khalhys Ahren said:

As long as it doesn't suggest it's okay to slander innocent residents

Not at all. From a purely practical perspective, I think the Lab's problem is that disputes between residents can degenerate very quickly to "He said -- She said" arguments. If you've ever raised children, you know that there's no easy way to resolve claims like "He hit me first!" and "She's always picking on me".  It takes a lot of time to dig for relevant bits of information to figure out exactly what's going on and who's more at fault.  Parents and LL have better ways to spend their time, so the best they can say is, "Go to your room and cool down."  In fact, that's often the very best solution anyway.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Not at all. From a purely practical perspective, I think the Lab's problem is that disputes between residents can degenerate very quickly to "He said -- She said" arguments. If you've ever raised children, you know that there's no easy way to resolve claims like "He hit me first!" and "She's always picking on me".  It takes a lot of time to dig for relevant bits of information to figure out exactly what's going on and who's more at fault.  Parents and LL have better ways to spend their time, so the best they can say is, "Go to your room and cool down."  In fact, that's often the very best solution anyway.  

I'll take that as a solution. Thanks

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.