Can you stop an attachment from animating your avatar?

venerablemayfly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have this item that lifts an arm when attached. I'd like it to not do that and keep the script inside (the item does other things but its all bundled into one). Also, If I remove the animation the other functions cease to work. Hmm. Maybe the arm being raised it part of the item's animation. Sounds redundant, but I figured avatars were animated independent of attached items? Only animesh items, like heads, could be manipulated with better precision? In other words, I dont understand animesh that well but perhaps how the item moves is also linked to the bones of the avatar at the same time? 🤔 so they're "linked"?

Edited by venerablemayfly

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Edit the item, from the build menu, reset the scripts. When it asks for permission to animate your avatar, decline.

What else does it do that you don't want to loose ?

It's an attachment though. Animation permissions will be auto-granted.

3 hours ago, venerablemayfly said:

I have this item that lifts an arm when attached. I'd like it to not do that and keep the script inside (the item does other things but its all bundled into one). Also, If I remove the animation the other functions cease to work. Hmm. Maybe the arm being raised it part of the item's animation. Sounds redundant, but I figured avatars were animated independent of attached items? Only animesh items, like heads, could be manipulated with better precision? In other words, I dont understand animesh that well but perhaps how the item moves is also linked to the bones of the avatar at the same time? 🤔 so they're "linked"?

What kind of item. Bringing up animesh makes me think of a pet you hold and if it doesn't function when you remove the animation, maybe the creator made it tamper proof?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, venerablemayfly said:

Sounds redundant, but I figured avatars were animated independent of attached items? Only animesh items, like heads, could be manipulated with better precision? In other words, I dont understand animesh that well but perhaps how the item moves is also linked to the bones of the avatar at the same time? 🤔 so they're "linked"?

An animesh object is a mesh object that animates itself by running its own animations on its own bones (as opposed to the older, clunkier technique of assembling prims and running a script that constantly rotates and slides parts of itself). It can do this either while attached to you or while rezzed on the ground. The animations it plays on itself don't affect your avatar. Now, it might also animate you, but that's because any object can animate you -- mesh or prims, attached or not.

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, venerablemayfly said:

I have this item that lifts an arm when attached. I'd like it to not do that and keep the script inside (the item does other things but its all bundled into one). Also, If I remove the animation the other functions cease to work.

You could try making or getting an animation that does essentially nothing, for example, a stand pose with all the bones at zero settings, and uploaded at priority 2, so that your normal AO will override it. Take careful note of the name of the animation in the attachment you want to stop. (remember case is important in names). Rename the animation inside the attachment to something harmless and put the new animation in, and give it the old animation's name.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku
  • Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 2:57 PM, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

You could try making or getting an animation that does essentially nothing, for example, a stand pose with all the bones at zero settings, and uploaded at priority 2, so that your normal AO will override it. Take careful note of the name of the animation in the attachment you want to stop. (remember case is important in names). Rename the animation inside the attachment to something harmless and put the new animation in, and give it the old animation's name.

This sounds like it might work, thanks for the tip! I'll try it out tonight :D I hope it doesn't stop my ao from working 8X

Thank you everyone else for clarifying what does what. The item is an eyeball that rotates and spins around at random, like the eye of sauron lol it rotates around the hand specifically but would look just fine spinning about on its own without the hand. I have a dog avatar so the hand being lifted lifts the paw at a super weird angle. I'd rather attach it to the head or back so its more of a floating sentinel. I figured animesh had its own animations, so its super confusing how it wont move at all without that animation inside. Alas, we shall see!

Edited by venerablemayfly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.