Cleanroom PPE

IvyTechEngineer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

I would like to buy cleanroom garb for SL that I can share with others. We are building a cleanroom for education and when a person enters the cleanroom they must wear certain items. The items include bouffant cap, face mask, goggles, lab coat, gloves and shoe covers. I typically have not paid very much attention to my avatar appearance and am unfamiliar with the some of the terms used for items in SL Marketplace. 100% Mesh, Sculpty KIT with UV maps, LIQUID MESH with Non Rigged Me. What do these terms mean? Also, any suggestions on where I can find the cleanroom items? Can I hire someone to make them?

Thanks

IvyTechEngineer

As with most things with SL outfits, you may have to buy your equipment in pieces.

Facemasks became "popular" with CV and such, you can probably find some transferable ones.

Meli Imako has a lab coat/ scrub,

The only reasonably priced gloves I could find that would fit are also by Meli

"Disturbed" has some Facemasks.

Clossest goggles I could find

I can't seem to find anything even close to a shoe cover, you might need that custom, made, or you could try modifying a garbage bag.

You do have to be wary of the licensing agreements (you can't 'give away' the things you buy from most FP merchants). I haven't checked all the licensing agreements thoroughly, but for just using them with your guests, The best practice would probably be to use a temporary-attachment system. (Not sure if there are any other commercial options for those, but I'd sell you a (fairly simple) temp-attach rez system for L$500)

--

Definitions:

Sculpty: these are essentially an older precursor to mesh. but they are not and cannot be 'Rigged'.

Rigged: This means that the object will bend and move with the person wearing them. for your purposes, the gloves and coat need to be rigged, but it shouldn't matter much for everything else. Rigged clothing is often made to form-fit a specific type of body, either the system body (these are called 'fitmesh' generally) or a specific mesh body. This means that rigged clothing is also generally gender-specific.

UV map: it is difficult to make new textures for a mesh or sculpty without one of these.

Liquid mesh: don't buy anything with this in the description. It's complicated.

--

You can indeed hire people to make these things for you, but custom work is generally quite expensive.

Here is a more technical description of the terms.

100% mesh means the item was made in a 3D modeling program verses being made from primitives (aka prims - cubes and spheres that can be twisted into various shapes). Mesh items are the best clothes and more realistic things.

Sculpty - this is an old type of prim that is sort of mesh. The vertices information is contained in an image. They are slow loading. There use is depreciated. Don't buy sculpties without a good reason. The KIT idea is so that you could make textures for the sculpty.

UV Map - In SL these are the same as in any other 3D modeling effort. The UV Map is a 2D map of where a pixel appears on a 3D model. Some mesh clothes come with a UV map so you can make your own textures. Boats and planes often come with UV Maps so you can make your own paint job,

Liquid Mesh - This is an early user effort at making rigged mesh. They are outdated and again do not but liquid mesh without a good reason. The explanation is about what 3D model rigging is. So...

Rigging - Like on a sail boat the rigging ties the sails to the boat. In 3D modeling the rigging ties the model to an armature (aka skeleton) that can be animated (moved) by the computer. Play an animation that moves the avatar arm and the bone in the arm is moved. The rigging tells the computer how to move the skin and clothes rigged to the arm bone. There is data in the rigging info that allows the computer to more realistically bend the arm at the elbow. - Liquid mesh rigged to an early iteration of the SL avatar skeleton. It had problems. The Lindens upgraded the skeleton and made it rigging friendly. This was the change to Fitted Mesh. The later Bento upgrade provided more bones for us to rig to.

Non-Rigged means there is no data in the item tying the mesh vertices to the bones. Move the bones and the mesh doesn't move. However, prims can be attached to attachment points on the avatar. Anything attached to the forearm attachment point will move with the forearm. If you make clothes from prims they cannot bend like rigged clothes. The clothes are like the manikins arms iRL. Joints are more like a hinge. Non-Rigged stuff is fine for a gun, sword, shield... things that do not have to imitate cloth.

Note: As bodies and clothes are now mostly rigged items we have another gotcha. SL Users build the models and do the rigging. Each brand was made by a specific modeler. Each one made different models and uniquely rigged them. Clothes designers have to rig their clothes with similar rigging information to match the brand of body. This means Slink clothes will not fit a Maitreya body. Clothes have to be rigged for a specific body to fit and move correctly.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
added note

4LUR2_AS01?hei=536&wid=536

Clean room boots, class 1000. Standard commercial product.

So that's roughly what you want.

You could start with this basic, full perm, all assets boot kit from Meli Imako. They're very plain Ugg-style boots. Rexturing alone would get you adequate clean room boots. Wrinkles can be drawn in. For a first cut, just put a wrinkled paper texture onto the boot model.

If you take the 3D model into Blender, you can remove some shoe details, simplify, and make a closer match to RL clean room boots. Boost the width and height about 20% so they fit over existing shoes. You can probably advertise for someone to do this for you. Depends on how accurate a model you need.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1023 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.