No more bad frame rates or sort your inventory!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

The universe never ceases to amaze me, but maybe this is good. To paraphrase a hollywood star, "If you wake up in the morning and the universe doesn't amaze you, you died in the night"

This does actually make some sense to me: I remember asking Oz at the server user group meeting once why I should get chat-lag in busy areas and why trying to cursor back to correct typo should make it dramatically worse. His reply was that all the typing and shown text is graphics-intensive in the same way that rendering any other visible item on the screen is. I had been expecting that chat would just be unicode bytes thrown to and fro, not bit-mapped to the screen. So if you divide the viewer operations into visible and under-the-hood, anything under the hood must take place at the expense of the visible.

This explains why even chat was worse than usual until I reached the point of 1fps in a sandbox x3 

9 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

've always heard that teleporting is affected, too, and that's acceptably weird: it's not obvious what about teleporting should prompt the viewer to reference any piece of Inventory-related memory,

Unless, of course, the receiving region needs to be told things about the incoming avatars attachments, which are obviously all in inventory, so it's just possibly that the entire inventory gets loaded by the receiving region?

This thread has got me mulling over a few things that have been niggling me lately, most notably, when you have a TP-failure and crash to desktop, before you crashed, your inventory floater was open because you had been selecting and clicking on an item in it, when you log your way back into the world all bleary-eyed, the inventory floater isn't open, it's been snuffed, but when you successfully TP or log in from cold, the inventory floater is usually open. So what is it about a TP-fail that shuts the inventory folder? (The other item that is regularly snuffed is the mini-map)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

but when you successfully TP or log in from cold, the inventory floater is usually open.

What I see is, if your inventory floater was closed when you logged out, it is closed when you log in.

If it was open when you logged out, it is then open when you logged in.

Just checked, since I never paid attention to that before

Clearly the inventory is suspicious.  My theory is that LL has hidden SL avatar spies in my inventory (that eat clock cycles), so they can watch me at home.  I always close my inventory before doing something that could be violating their TOS.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

What I see is, if your inventory floater was closed when you logged out, it is closed when you log in.

If it was open when you logged out, it is then open when you logged in.

Just checked, since I never paid attention to that before

Clearly the inventory is suspicious.  My theory is that LL has hidden SL avatar spies in my inventory (that eat clock cycles), so they can watch me at home.  I always close my inventory before doing something that could be violating their TOS.

Gremlins!! 😁💕

1 hour ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Unless, of course, the receiving region needs to be told things about the incoming avatars attachments, which are obviously all in inventory, so it's just possibly that the entire inventory gets loaded by the receiving region?

This thread has got me mulling over a few things that have been niggling me lately, most notably, when you have a TP-failure and crash to desktop, before you crashed, your inventory floater was open because you had been selecting and clicking on an item in it, when you log your way back into the world all bleary-eyed, the inventory floater isn't open, it's been snuffed, but when you successfully TP or log in from cold, the inventory floater is usually open. So what is it about a TP-fail that shuts the inventory folder? (The other item that is regularly snuffed is the mini-map)

In my experience, the TP failure often takes you back to last logged in.  So if you've edited an item you're wearing and didn't detach and reattach, after the TP crash, it's back to where it was before editing.  Same with an open inventory, I imagine.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

In my experience, the TP failure often takes you back to last logged in.

I agree, where I re-enter after a crash is where I logged into, but things like the inventory floater that were open when I logged in from cold aren't when I relog from a crash. It's this that has got me puzzled, if you were to restart from where you were initially, then surely the open inventory floater is all part of the wake-up scenario, why isn't it restored?

The other thing I recall seeing sometimes after a crash, though not always, is a brief message about clearing corrupt cache followed by all the textures apparently being refreshed quite slowly, as if they are all being downloaded yet again, despite them supposedly being in the cache, but the message is so fleeting I've never yet remembered to pay attention to the full text. This is peripherally involved with the thread topic in that a large chunk of one's inventory is of course held in cache.

• Like 1

• Harley Linden changed the title to No more bad frame rates or sort your inventory!
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.