Scripting noob! permission?

Tinkarbell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've decided to teach myself how to script lsl. Yay!

permissions wait... what?

I just told myself to perform an animation and now I have to ask permission first? Isn't there any way around this?

I have used many items in second life and rarely do I ever get asked this. why do some objects need this and others don't?

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:LSL_Permissions/Script   here is the page about permissions that doesn't explain why I need them.

Edited by Tinkarbell

Just now, sandi Mexicola said:

If you have an item with the script in it, and then you wear the item, that is implied permission.  That's why things like AOs don't ask you for permission to animate you, but dance floors do.

perfect. thank you. I will be making a HUD, so 1 less thing to worry about.

If you look at the right-most column of that table, you can see all the cases where those permissions are granted automatically.

However, you still need to make the request with llRequestPermissions. It's just that when you do, if those conditions are filled, the user is not prompted.

Once your script has been granted permission, it will hold that permission permanently (unless overwritten by another request or the script resets). This means that you'll only need to make the request once, and then you'll be able to use that permission for as long as you need to, even if the avatar leaves and comes back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

If you look at the right-most column of that table, you can see all the cases where those permissions are granted automatically.

However, you still need to make the request with llRequestPermissions. It's just that when you do, if those conditions are filled, the user is not prompted.

Once your script has been granted permission, it will hold that permission permanently (unless overwritten by another request or the script resets). This means that you'll only need to make the request once, and then you'll be able to use that permission for as long as you need to, even if the avatar leaves and comes back.

Sorry. Talking about lsl script is like trying to understand a different language. Are you saying that, if I have a chair with a unique animation, I still have to include the permission stuff even if the user is not prompted?

5 minutes ago, Tinkarbell said:

Sorry. Talking about lsl script is like trying to understand a different language. Are you saying that, if I have a chair with a unique animation, I still have to include the permission stuff even if the user is not prompted?

Yes. Before you can use a function like llStartAnimation, you must request permission to animate.

If the script is in a chair, and the avatar you want to animate is sitting in that chair, the user will not know that the script has requested permission.

Likewise if you're creating a HUD that animates the person who is using the HUD, you still need to request permission. But because PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATION is automatically granted "when sat on or attached," the user won't notice the request.

If the HUD is supposed to animate other people, such as a "hugger," the other person will see the permission request.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Yes. Before you can use a function like llStartAnimation, you must request permission to animate.

If the script is in a chair, and the avatar you want to animate is sitting in that chair, the user will not know that the script has requested permission.

Thanks for explaining it in simple terms. I guess it seems a little extra to me. I feel like clicking on the chair is permission enough.  ;) 

Another thing to keep in mind about animation permissions, they also set who the animation happens to. If for example your chair doesn't ask the sitter for permission to animate, if you later ask it to animate, it won't know whether to animate a person sitting on the chair or a person on the other side of the sim. in the case of (for example) a large couch that seats multiple people, it needs to 'ask permission' to animate the person who wants to change their sitting pose so that llStartAnimation()l; knows which sitter to animate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quistessa said:

Another thing to keep in mind about animation permissions, they also set who the animation happens to. If for example your chair doesn't ask the sitter for permission to animate, if you later ask it to animate, it won't know whether to animate a person sitting on the chair or a person on the other side of the sim. in the case of (for example) a large couch that seats multiple people, it needs to 'ask permission' to animate the person who wants to change their sitting pose so that llStartAnimation()l; knows which sitter to animate.

That makes sense.  I guess there is a reason for the extra lines of code after all.

7 minutes ago, Tinkarbell said:

Thanks for explaining it in simple terms. I guess it seems a little extra to me. I feel like clicking on the chair is permission enough.  ;) 

I don't entirely disagree, but based on what you're working on, you won't need the run_time_permissions event. That part is only necessary if you need to handle things like the avatar refusing permission (when automatic permissions can't be done), or other preparations.

If you're working on a HUD, for example, you can just make a permission request in the attach event. This will guarantee that your request will succeed (for animations) and it is very unlikely that anyone would rez your HUD on the ground in order to use it. If they do, the script may give errors until it's attached.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.