Misleading SL splash page

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The relatively new splash page that you get when you go to Secondlife.com, before you login, is a lovely photo, all blues and ethereal with an elven looking character. It is also heavily photoshopped, or its equivalent.  Previous screens (you know, with the "old" owners...) tended to be pretty true to a screenshot. I thought that was a good practice. Even with BlackDragon running full tilt, it would be difficult to get that shot. Maaaaaaaybe possible, playing with glow and DOF and a hundred other things.

If you are trying to sucker people in to trying this place, and you nab a newbie and they see that image, their mind might go "ooooh, that looks cool" and imagine their surprise, frustration and disappointment when they log in and, well, that imagine is not so much what they are gonna see.

Previous splash screens also had attributions to the photographers, actual users of SL. I didn't see any on this one.

But I'm a grumpy misanthrope, and I'm already ticked off about the fee thing for buying Linden$. And not that anyone cares, but it also makes me grumpy that I have to log into my dashboard (ok, that doesn't annoy me) but when I link to the Forums from the dashboard I just signed into, I have to sign in again to make a post (that's the annoying part). And where's the spelling check here? I thought we had spelling check. You should have seen how I spelled "ethereal" before realizing nothing would correct it.

What do you think? Cool splash screen and you hope to see more like it? Or... think it is misleading? Or... 

Edited by Seicher Rae
PRONOUNS!

4 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

The relatively new splash page that you get when you go to Secondlife.com, before you login, is a lovely photo, all blues and ethereal with an elven looking character. It is also heavily photoshopped, or its equivalent.  Previous screens (you know, with the "old" owners...) tended to be pretty true to a screenshot. I thought that was a good practice. Even with BlackDragon running full tilt, it would be difficult to get that shot. Maaaaaaaybe possible, playing with glow and DOF and a hundred other things.

If you are trying to sucker people in to trying this place, and you nab a newbie and they see that image, their mind might go "ooooh, that looks cool" and imagine their surprise, frustration and disappointment when they log in and, well, that imagine is not so much what they are gonna see.

Previous splash screens also had attributions to the photographers, actual users of SL. I didn't see any on this one.

But I'm a grumpy misanthrope, and I'm already ticked off about the fee thing for buying Linden$. And not that anyone cares, but it also makes me grumpy that I have to log into my dashboard (ok, that doesn't annoy me) but when I link to the Forums from the dashboard I just signed into, I have to sign in again to make a post (that's the annoying part). And where's the spelling check here? I thought we had spelling check. You should have seen how I spelled "ethereal" before realizing nothing would correct it.

What do you think? Cool splash screen and you hope to see more like it? Or... think it is misleading? Or... 

Ummm

And good to see you!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.