Sign in to follow this  
Silua Mills

Please give us an update on plans to fix Group Chat

Like many sim owners, group chat is driving me insane.  I know the last plans to fix it were scrapped.  What I don't know is if the plan is to simply leave it broken now, to try another fix or to expect those who need group chat functionality for community building to use outside software.  

This is a huge, community-killing issue.  Could we please get an update?

last i knew there were plans to bring out a new group chat system that would get rid of or at least improve the terrible chat lag i don't think this one has been scrapped yet

Rodvik posted something about this a few days ago (link). Although, it's not much help, at least we know it hasn't been forgotten about.

...Dres

ETA: Btw, welcome to the forum Silua. :matte-motes-big-grin:

The plan My friends and I are now using: Set up matching Facebook groups and chat there.  We have not loaded the groups enough for a full test, but I have not seen messages about unable to open a group or unable to send a message.  

Thinkerer 

Thank you, Dresdan.   This is good news.  I really hope they introduce something soon.  With a brand new sim already picking up members its very difficult to do without group chat and it is only working about one try out of ten. 

June 2 on the ADITI grid a load test is being tried of the new? changed? text system. 

Thursday, the 2nd of June, 2011 @ 4PM PT see: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/GroupChatTest

The Lab was working on a change over to XMPP Chat. Unfortunately testing revealed that it did not solve the chat problems. The pre-roll out code for XMPP was actually rolled to the main grid some weeks ago. The XMPP chat code was even added to the KirstenLee Viewer and in use on ADITI.

Those working on the problem obviously misunderstood the problem. I suspect they underestimated the problem or had unrealistic expectation for XMPP. That embarrassment has made them re-access the SL chat system. Changes were made to the servers and possibly the viewers to collect more data on what is actually happening that causes the slow downs. I believe this June load testing may be proof of theory testing. So, if things go as they expect, they can move ahead on fixing chat. If not, they'll remain in research mode and figure out what is happening and we'll hear little if anything.

Whatever the case, the load test is an indication work is ongoing to solve the chat problem. I suspect the plan remains simple and unchanged, fix chat.

There may be parts of the plan we have yet to hear of. Those that have worked with XMPP Chat were expecting lots of new chat possibilities and possible ties into Twitter, Plurk, and Facebook. Those interconnections could be part of the plan. We just don't know.