does this exist? Tarot and more

merpunk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm relatively new to the community aspects of SL. I'd really like to give a job a try, it sounds like a fun way to meet L while doing social stuff.

I'm looking for something I can do on a freelance (or similar) basis. I've got health issues that sometimes make it hard to be online, even though I try. Unusual/interesting/offbeat jobs would be great! I'm not looking for anything sexual, though.

One idea I had would be doing Tarot readings. I've got real life experience. I'm not sure how I would do in a virtual setting so it would be more for entertainment or roleplay purposes.

Do these kinds of jobs exist?

Thank you!

You can do pretty much anything you can imagine in SL, Whether or not you can get people to pay for it depends a lot on demand and your ability with advertising.

One of my early SL scripting projects was a deck of cards, and I happened to use a tarot deck because I found some free tarot textures. I don't think it's quite 'finished' yet, but If I recall correctly it's fairly useable. Give me a ring in-world sometime and I'd be glad to show it off to you.

Thanks, will do! I think my main questions is about gigs where others employ me -- I don't really have enough L to rent/get my own place so I'd need permission (at least) from sim owners to do it. I wonder if there are any sims offering more unusual/freelance jobs!

Well you can certainly look through the other posts on this forum.

You don't necessarily need your own land in order to run a freelance business. Photography is something you can get people to pay you for, if you have a good graphics setup and a decent portfolio, or really any type of content creation (Scripting, building, animating, rigging, texturing. . .) for SL can work as a freelance job.

In terms of unusual things that have dedicated sims, Some things I'm aware of besides the usual(DJ/Host):

- medical/maternity stuff (there's a recent post about someone wanting a receptionist)

- Party Stuff (There's another recent post about someone wanting staffers for their birthday-party themed area)

- Voice acting (There was a someone a while back wanting voice actors for their art gallery or something)

- Religious stuff (someone a while back wanted a preacher for their church. I believe that vacancy has been filled)

Hope that helps/ gives you some leads to sink into.

1 hour ago, merpunk said:

Thanks, will do! I think my main questions is about gigs where others employ me -- I don't really have enough L to rent/get my own place so I'd need permission (at least) from sim owners to do it. I wonder if there are any sims offering more unusual/freelance jobs!

Stripclubs offer real life experienced tarot reader services. You can ask if the ones who offer this would be willing to hire a 2nd tarot reader. You can ask in the adult entertainment forum if any club would like to hire you for your services. You would set your own rates and a nicely done poster would announce your service, name and rates or to click for your info notecard.

4 hours ago, Quistessa said:

Well you can certainly look through the other posts on this forum.

You don't necessarily need your own land in order to run a freelance business. Photography is something you can get people to pay you for, if you have a good graphics setup and a decent portfolio, or really any type of content creation (Scripting, building, animating, rigging, texturing. . .) for SL can work as a freelance job.

In terms of unusual things that have dedicated sims, Some things I'm aware of besides the usual(DJ/Host):

- medical/maternity stuff (there's a recent post about someone wanting a receptionist)

- Party Stuff (There's another recent post about someone wanting staffers for their birthday-party themed area)

- Voice acting (There was a someone a while back wanting voice actors for their art gallery or something)

- Religious stuff (someone a while back wanted a preacher for their church. I believe that vacancy has been filled)

Hope that helps/ gives you some leads to sink into.

Thank you so much, this helps a lot! Do you know if this is the only place where people post jobs?

I'm not that great at photography, I think more roleplay oriented jobs sound more like my thing. These are really interesting and along the lines of what I'm looking for.

3 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

Stripclubs offer real life experienced tarot reader services. You can ask if the ones who offer this would be willing to hire a 2nd tarot reader. You can ask in the adult entertainment forum if any club would like to hire you for your services. You would set your own rates and a nicely done poster would announce your service, name and rates or to click for your info notecard.

Cool, I didn't know that!

8 hours ago, merpunk said:

Do you know if this is the only place where people post jobs?

You could try searching through group profiles, but that seems to pretty much get you the standard club type things: https://search.secondlife.com/?query_term=hiring

For blogging jobs (another kind of job I overlooked, sometimes stores/brands pay people to write (good) things about their products) you could check out the social media of the brand which would probably tell you if they're hiring.

This forum is the easiest place I know of to find/promote jobs though.

I just saw this in community events.  Can't hurt to ask if they need another card reader.

Free Tarot Card Readings on Sacred Cauldron

Come see what message the Tarot has for you. We are offering free tarot card readings every Saturday from 2 pm to 3 pm in the library on Sacred Cauldron. See you there.

I think you could really do something with Tarot readings, you could make a freelance business out of it, I would even suggest maybe getting a HUD designed where you can show the cards you pulled in real life, in second life. I havnt heard of anything like this in second life so I think it could be a successful and unique business. 

Edited by KawaiiDuirii

On 3/6/2021 at 2:43 PM, Quistessa said:

You could try searching through group profiles, but that seems to pretty much get you the standard club type things: https://search.secondlife.com/?query_term=hiring

For blogging jobs (another kind of job I overlooked, sometimes stores/brands pay people to write (good) things about their products) you could check out the social media of the brand which would probably tell you if they're hiring.

This forum is the easiest place I know of to find/promote jobs though.

Thanks! It's a bummer since the forum doesn't seem to be very active overall.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:50 PM, Rowan Amore said:

I just saw this in community events.  Can't hurt to ask if they need another card reader.

Free Tarot Card Readings on Sacred Cauldron

Come see what message the Tarot has for you. We are offering free tarot card readings every Saturday from 2 pm to 3 pm in the library on Sacred Cauldron. See you there.

Thanks, I'll look into it!

On 3/6/2021 at 8:16 PM, KawaiiDuirii said:

I think you could really do something with Tarot readings, you could make a freelance business out of it, I would even suggest maybe getting a HUD designed where you can show the cards you pulled in real life, in second life. I havnt heard of anything like this in second life so I think it could be a successful and unique business. 

Thank you! I was thinking of making something like that once I've got a bit more Linden (to upload) and understand how to make HUDs better but I think it would be really fun!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.