How to Gyazo - gifs & snaps!

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way, shape or form affiliated with, sponsored by, in cahoots with, blackmailed by, courting the daughter of one of the CEOs of, or otherwise influenced or persuaded by the company behind the app - all I want is an URL to throw at people when they go 'HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!?'.

It's not always you want to open up your snapshot tool in world, especially not if you've left the snapshot settings rather high and you want to catch something on the fly. It could also be that you just want to take a quick image of a certain portion of your screen, or that you want to capture a gif to show things moving. I use both functions fairly extensively, especially when I want to ask for input on an outfit I'm trying on from friends via Discord, or if I want to show someone how to do something within SL - and people frequently ask me 'How did you do that?!'. So, here's how to use the Gyazo desktop application.

First, you'll need to download the app from Gyazo's website. It's free to use, and though it'll tell you that you can't use more than 10 images/gifs without logging in, I personally never bothered to do that - so creating an account is optional, but probably advisable if you wish to access your backlog without skimming through your browser history.

Once the app is installed, it's good to go, but if you want to set up the key shortcuts (some do contest certain default keybinds both in FS and BDW) you can open the app to open the settings page. Here you can also change some other things, like whether it should play a sound when capturing, or if the browser tab should open automatically when it's finished uploading it. 

The app has 3 types of capture: images, gifs, and replays. In addition, you can either do fullscreen or use the selector for what to capture. Personally I only ever really use the selector - should I want a fullscreen snapshot I'll just hit the screenshot key - and should I want fullscreen video ... ... Well, I don't know, that hasn't occurred yet? But I do have better programs for video recording than this app; it's not ideal for shooting HD machinimas with! 

To capture a snapshot, hit Ctrl + Shift + C (or whatever you've changed the keybind to!). Your cursor will change to a crosshair; use your mouse to click, drag and drop, marking which section of your screen to capture. The image will be immediately uploaded to Gyazo by default.

To capture a gif, instead hit Ctrl + Shift + G (or whatever you've changed the keybin to!). This works just the same way, except you'll have 3 buttons at the bottom of the selection window. The middle button is record/pause, the left button is to exit and delete the capture (whilst paused), and the right button is to upload the capture. 

Additionally you can, once you've hit Ctrl + Shift C/G, instead of left-click and drag, right-click to bring up the menu. From here you can change capture mode, access your settings, or simply cancel the action.

Keep in mind though, this is not a high-resolution capture. If you want to record proper videos or do SL photography, there are better tools for the job. A gif capture can be no longer than 7 seconds and it will record no audio, and the resolution may occasionally bring 90's video game definition to mind.

Example uses:

f02067882667ccf9841f19d14c57690a.gif

Detail of before / after fixing an animation-borked shoulder in Gimp.

df4a85b7ba39839464b51daacb15e6bf.gif

Poking your SL daughter about cute animesh animals to have her go 'ermagerwd uwu' (or something along those lines). 

036a2f1549815dc3cbdacae6cf3e6095.gif

Showing your friends how awesome this hair is for being able to be tied up with an animation. 

ad4a50208197a23edcb076cff6e69a3b.gif

Capturing a gif of an MP4 because uploading stuff to embed is a bother when you could just press Ctrl + Shift + G and have it upload to an embedable gif by itself.

142a9a191cb43eb58b2a49a81f1d667d.gif

... Doing the Macarena ...

a0cedff0038eac910c04de7eac93ac92.gif

... Or Gangnam Style ... 

Well. There it is.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Well I am a total blonde!

Affirmative.

11 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

YOU COULD HAVE JUST TOLD ME THAT @Orwar!

I was going to the other day, but I said hi, tabbed out and forgot, and when I tabbed back in you'd already gone! 

40 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

It's making videos and not gifs.

Whut. It's not supposed to make videos. You aren't hitting 'capture replay', are you?

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 268 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.